Robert
Robert, Technician
Experience:  6 years experience with car repair.

2001 nissan altima: headlight..changing..the clamps were corroded

Customer Question

I have a 2001 nissan altima I took the battery out to change the headlight. After changing the lamp I put the battery back in the car. I noticed the clamps were corroded and cleaned them. I put them back on the posts and tried cranking the car. I got nothing, I shook the clamp and it cranked. A couple days later, my son drove around and it were ok. He took the car onto the interstate and after about four miles it just cut off and we have not been able to crank it since. We bought a battery and tried jumping it. There were no sound at all. What could this be?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Hi There!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer!

Do you have a volt meter? When You turn the car over is there any noise at all?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no sound, no clicking sound that the starter would make. I turn the key and the sound is that of a dead battery.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.
Do you have a Volt meter? Is this a manual or Automatic ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have a volt meter, but I can get one from the parts store about a mile away from me. The car is automatic.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.
Try to put the car in Netrual and start it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tried this and got nothing
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Ok.

If you want to get a volt meter that would be great, they are good to have anyway, also a 12volt test light helps. I will be here and can assist you if you want. Just to be sure once again when you turn your key over no noise?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this is taking to long and still don't have an answer I'm a mechanic in the military and thought I could get a quick opinion but to no avail
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.
OK I can re-post your question, maybe another expert has more feedback.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Hi Again, I am sending some prints to help you troubleshoot the issue. I would suspect an issue with the neutral safety switch or starter solenoid relay, what confusing is the car just shut down while driving which would indicate a alternator issue. Hope these prints help you.

Thank You Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback Welcomed!