Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mehanic 39 years,30 with the NYPD Fleet Service Division

1996 mazda b2300: the thermostat and still cold air any suggestions

I have a 1996 mazda b2300 and the heater just stopped working, I have replaced the thermostat and still cold air any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Roadside Jerry replied 6 years ago.
Hi Rose,with the engine at normal temperature and the heater on, feel both heater hoses where they enter the heater . They both should be equally hot. If one is hotter then the other,it indicates a clogged heater core. You can sometimes clean it by taking the hoses off the core,connecting a garden hose to the core and flushing through both tubes.Hope this helps you get heat.Jerry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so where is the heater core located? I am doing this by my self can you help locate it.
Look in the engine compartment,on the right side you will see the 2 heater hoses 3/4 inch rubber hose that come from the engine and carry the coolant to the core .It is on the firewall,just under you windshield area.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
both hoses are hot not warm and hot but hot on both side, so that means that there is good circulation any other ideas?
The heater could still be causing the low heat output,but the heater controls would have to be checked before proceeding. There is a flap in the heater box that controls the temperature coming into the car.It adjusts the flow of air through the core.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would a fuse be the problem or could it be a vacuume line? i think i am in over my head here.

Hi Rose ,If the fuse was a problem you would have no blower,I looked in the info for your system.The temperature is cable controlled. I am sending the adjustment instructions for you to read. If you decide to have the heater repaired at a shop,you will at least have an idea of what could be your problem.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so where is this cable and vent located, my guess is behind the radio and or the glove box?
It connects from the control on the dash board to the heater case. You would have to follow the cable . Move the control and see were it is connected to an arm or lever on the heater case.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so how do i get to this cable? take the radio out?
I wouldn't take the radio out as a first step,the problem most times is at the heater box end. The doors in the heater can get tight and cause the cable to bend or go out of adjustment.You have to find the lever on the heater box and try to see if the cable can operate it. Sometimes you can move it at the heater box end.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do i get to the heater box?
The heater box is behind the dash board on the passenger side .Just behind the glove box area. It is not always fun to get at these controls,mant times to work on these items you have to work upside down.
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Auto Mehanic 39 years,30 with the NYPD Fleet Service Division
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
boy this sounds like fun! i sure appreciate your help and have a happy new year.
Thanks