Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager

97 Olds 88: my check engine light goes zone..sensors

Customer Question

I have a 97 Olds 88, and my check engine light goes on. Sometime it putters when start it up then it revs up high by itself and works fine. I took it to an auto zone and they told me three sensors are bad. I changed one of them called the air flow mapping sensor, and it was not it.    It all has to do with the mass air flow they told me. Another thing he noted was that all the sensor codes also said input low voltage. Does that just mean the mass air flow sensor is bad and making the car run bad.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 years ago.
Well, the mass airflow sensor does play a big part in the performance of the engine.
If you have multiple codes and they all say "low voltage" I would check the wires.
You want to be sure that there is a reference voltage to all the sensors in question.
It is possible that all 3 went bad but I would want to be sure first. Also would want to clear the codes and run it to see which one(s) come back.
Happy New Year, by the way!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Super mechanic's Post: I will accept it but I thought I would of got a more detailed answer.
You pretty much told me what I told you . happy new year..
Thanks curt meyer
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry. The thing is that you have to eliminate a voltage problem within the whole circut before you can diagnos a malfunction with any of the sensors.