MCVGreg
MCVGreg, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  25 + Years Working with Cars & Electronic Control Systems

2005 Chevy Impala: I remove and replace a water pump

How do I remove and replace a water pump in a 2005 Chevy Impala and is there any follow on maintenance to do?
Category: Car
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Here is the procedure for replacing you water pump.

Water Pump Replacement 3.4L

Removal Procedure

1. Drain the cooling system.
  2. Remove the drive belt shield bolt.
  3. Remove the drive belt shield.

graphic
  4. Loosen the water pump pulley bolts.
  5. Remove the drive belt.
  6. Remove the water pump pulley bolts.
  7. Remove the water pump pulley.

graphic
  8. Remove the water pump bolts.
  9. Remove the water pump (1).
  10. Remove the water pump gasket (2).
  11. Clean the water pump gasket mating surfaces.

Installation Procedure

graphic

1. Install the water pump gasket (2).
  2. Install the water pump (1).

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the water pump bolts. Tighten

Tighten the bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

graphic
  4. Install the water pump pulley.
  5. Install the water pump pulley bolts. Tighten

Tighten the bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb in).

6. Install the drive belt.
  7. Install the drive belt shield.
  8. Install the drive belt shield bolt. Tighten

Tighten the bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

9. Fill the cooling system.

While you are at it, you might want to replace the coolant, if it has not been done in a while (the last 2 years).

That's about it. If you have the time and the tool, this is not that difficult.

If this helps, please click accept. If you have more questions or need more helps, just let me know.

Take Care, Greg A.

MCVGreg, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: 25 + Years Working with Cars & Electronic Control Systems