Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

Dodge truck: overdrive..the trans, it..intermittently..converter

Customer Question

Dodge truck, diesel, automatic, 1991 with overdrive.
Water got into the trans, it''s been flushed several times and the valvebody has been pulled and cleaned, and now the torqueconverter feels like it is trying to lock up (intermittently) even though it is not a lockup converter.
Any ideas???
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
If you read any service manual it states the transmission must be overhauled if there has been water intrusion.The reason for that is water/coolant will damage the clutch plates.You may just have a bad torque converter.I know you said it isn't a lock up converter but it could still be bad.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am aware of what water will do. However, the issue is not consistant. "Sometimes" it will work normally, then without any warning, it will attempt to lock up. it will do it driving down the road, or when coming to a stop. But never the same and always without warning or any noise.
I guess it is posible it could be a sticking stator in the converter.
Performed an air test and it is ok there. The tranny itself is not the problem, it shifts and holds fine.
It's just the converter I believe but I thought I would ask here just to make sure I'm on the right track.
Have you ever known a converter to act like this?
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
I have not seen it personally but have heard from other techs that have.It isn't very common though.It's possible the trans is engaging a forward gear and trying to engage reverse as well.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well, thank you for your time.