Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mehanic 39 years,30 with the NYPD Fleet Service Division
1699649

89 chevy truck: fuel injectors..ecm..fuel filter..wont start

Customer Question

fuel injectors not spraying on a tbi system 89 chevy truck fuel pump pressor good ecm good fuel filter good wont start what is the problem
Category: Car
Expert:  Roadside Jerry replied 6 years ago.
The distributor has been very problem some on this engine .It sends the cranking signal to the ecm to fire the injectors. The pick up coil and magnets are the problem.
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Auto Mehanic 39 years,30 with the NYPD Fleet Service Division
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
distributor i thot dist,would just cause starting problems so would it be dist,cap or other could it be the injectors i have spark and it will start if poor gas in carb please any feed back would be great thank you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey jerry just wondering you still out there did you get my reply

HiCustomer,I am sending test info for the truck. You may want to disconnect the throttle position sensor as a quick check, they can short and cut off fuel. If not you will need a noid light and a test light to do some checks.Here is the info,Jerry

graphicgraphicgraphic

Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey jerry thanks i think this will help i did have a mechanic come out and he couldnt figure it out but he did check fuel pressor and resistance on injectors the pressor was between 9 and 13 psi and resistance on fuel injectors was 3 or 4 what your best oppinion on this problem do you still think it could be distributer or something els what is the resistance supposed to be on the injectors do you know any ways any info would be helpfull thanks again for your reply
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey jerry one more thing just wondering could it be any senser causing this problem cant get any codes from ecm when replaced fuel pump disconected battery so they got errased thats why im doing it my self now the mechanic i hired wasnt very good any ways any info would be great thanks again

HiCustomerthe fuel pressure is correct for your engine,The injectors should have 1.3 ohms each.If you had a scan tool connected you could read the tps voltage,it can shut injectors if in the clear flood mode. One of the other auto experts ,emailed me a quick test you could perform.I will insert it for you to try. If no results follow the trouble chart I sent earlier.Let me know how you are doing on the truck.

a simple test for the ignition module.remove cap,rotor,disconnect pick-up coil.12 volt test lamp to pos battery.Ign key on,eng off,touch the inner most terminal end of the module,it will collapse the coil windings & pulse the injectors.Remember the module has 2 rolls in the tbi system .

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey jerry there is one strang thing when i let vehicle sit for a day or so it starts right up and injectors spray for a min. or two and then they both stop and engine dies dont understand this dont know if this helps any its just confusing any ways do you think its the injectors or something to do with dist,spark when it all started i think i ran out of gas but not sure if i ran out of gas what do you think the possibilties are   please any info would be great thanks again
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey jerry what is this clear flood mode would it be in the ecm or the module in the distributer not sure about this can you explain more about this and how the module works in two differant types of the tbi system thanks again
HiCustomer clear flood is when you hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor it shuts the fuel delivery of,this was designed into the system to allow a flood engine to start. If the TPS shorted it can cause a false signal.The Module working in two different ways,meant it is there to send a signal for spark control ,and also a signal for the fuel system. The spark section can be good ,and the fuel section inoperative.I think it would be best if you can get a noid light,hook to the disconnected injector connector when the engine doesn't start and look for pulses at injector. If you had pulses and fuel up to the throttle body,it would indicate a clogged injector or passage in the TB assembly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey jerry thanks again for your reply i think you might be on to something with this module i do have a multimeter would this work too to test module or injecters not sure exactly how to use thow i dont think the injectors are clogged thow some other guy told me to splice them meaning the wire connectors to the injectors and use other wire and connect to battery to see if they spray and they do spray really well when i do this and like i said before if i wait a day or two it starts rihgt up and they spray fine but then they both stop and engine dies i dont know if this means any thing i just wanted to run it buy you to see if it helps any .but any ways back to this module it is the one in the distributer right or is it the one next to carb,tb are they both spark control or just the one in distributer thanks again
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hello again jerry from what i put together useing the multimeter is the resistance of injectors is 1.3 1.5 they are .and tp senser is 5.0 volts a and b terminals and between .05 to 1.2 volts c and b .checked a-b are 5.0 volts and c-b are .690-.700 so i guess this is good right so what do you think next module or other thanks again
HiCustomerthe readings you have are good.The module on the side of the TB is for electronic spark timing. The module for the fuel injection is in the distributor. Did you try this test below yet ?If the injectors pulse,I would think is is best to replace the dist. assy.Try to get a DELCO reman. Other brands I have used have been troublesome.They dont do a complete job.The magnets in the dist. get weak and crack,not all companies replace them.Hope you get running, Jerry

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey jerry thanks alot i took it upon my self to just go and get the module befor you got back to me ??and guess what it was that running like a champ thanks alot thow. your help was great still cant believe all the trouble that thing caused crazy any way thanks alot and if i have any more problems with my vehicles you are the man
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.
Glad you got it running,Have a Happy Hoiliday,Jerry.