Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

Kia Carnival cylinder head repairs

I NEED TO REPLACE CYLINDER HEAD GASKETS AND ALL TIMING BELTS ON MY 2000 KIA CARNIVAL 2.5L V6 AUTO. CAN ANYONE HELP WITH DETAILED PROCEDURES AND DIAGRAMS, PLEASE?
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Here are directions :

Timing belt:

Remove the engine cover.

2.Using the spanner [16mm], rotate the tensioner arm clockwise.(about 14°) and remove the belt from pulley.

3.Remove the coolant pump pulley, idler pulley, tensioner pulley and crankshaft pulley.
4.Remove the upper and lower timing belt covers.

5.Support the engine with garage jack or wooden block and remove the engine mounting insulator.
6.Remove the engine mount bracket from the engine.

7.Remove the auto tensioner.
Rotate the crankshaft clockwise and align the timing mark to get the No.1 cylinder's piston to be in TDC position (compression stroke). At this time, the timing mark of camshaft sprocket and cylinder head cover should coincide each other

8.Remove the timing belt.

When using the timing belt again, make sure of marking the rotating direction on the belt so as to install correctly.
INSTALLATION
The method of installing Timing belt and Auto tensioner.
1.Install idler pulley to water pump boss.

Insert and install idler pulley to the pin spring that is pressed and inserted in the water pump boss.
2.Install tensioner arm and plane washer to cylinder block.
3.Install tensioner pulley to the tensioner arm.
4.Install sprockets and align the timing mark.
1)When installing camshaft sprocket, fasten the sprocket tightly with holding the hexagonal part of the camshaft.
2)Before installing timing belt, if the timing marks of cam sprocket and cylinder head cover do not coincide, do not rotate the cam sprocket more than 3 teeth of sprocket in any direction. Rotating sprocket more than 3 teeth might make valve and piston touched each other.
3)In case of rotating the cam sprocket unavoidably more than 3 teeth, rotate the cam sprocket after rotating 3 teeth in the side of crank counter-clockwise on the base of timing mark.

5.Install the auto tensioner to the front case.

At this time auto tensioner's set pin should be assembled completely.
6.Align the timing marks of each sprocket and install the timing belt in this order. Crankshaft sprocket → Idler pulley →Intake cam sprocket (LH side) → Water pump pulley → Intake cam sprocket (RH side) → Tensioner pulley.

1)In this step, No. 1 is in TDC (Compression stroke)
2)Do not insert fingers.
7.Pull out the set pin of the auto tensioner.

8.Install the engine mount bracket from the engine.

9.Install the engine mounting insulator.
10.Install the upper and lower timing belt covers.
11.Install the coolant pump pulley, idler pulley, tensioner pulley and crankshaft pulley.
12.Using the spanner [16mm], rotate the tensioner arm clockwise (about 14°) and lnstall the belt from pulley.
13.Install the engine cover.

14.Install the oil filler cap.
The method to adjust the tension of timing belt
1.Rotate the crankshaft in 2 turns clockwise and measure the projected load of auto tensioner in the TDC (# XXXXX Compression stroke) after 5 minutes.
2.Check the projected length is 6-8 mm.
3.Check again if the timing marks of each sprocket are in specified position.
If not within specified position, do again from procedure 6 in the method of installing Timing belt and auto tensioner.

Head gaskets:

1.Drain the coolant and disconnect the upper radiator hose
2.Remove the breather hose and air-intake hose.
3.Remove the vaucuum hose, fuel hose and coolant hose.
4.Remove the intake manifold.
5.Remove the cables from the spark plugs. The cables should be removed by holding the boot portion.
6.Remove the ignition coil.
7.Remove the upper and lower timing belt cover.

8.Remove the timing belt and camshaft sprockets.
9.Remove the heat protector and exhaust manifold assembly.
10.Remove the coolant pump pulley and head cover.
11.Remove the intake and exhaust camshaft.
12.Remove the cylinder head assembly. The cylinder head bolts should be removed, in the sequence as shown in the illustration in two or three steps.
13.Remove the gasket pieces from the cylinder block top surface and cylinder head bottom surface.

Make sure that fragments from the gasket do not fall in the engine.
1.Remove scale, sealing compound and carbon deposits completely. After cleaning oil passages, apply compressed air to make certain that the passages are not clogged.
2.Visually check the cylinder head for cracks, damage or water leakage.
3.Check the cylinder head gasket surface for flatness with a straight edge and feeler as shown in illustration.

Cylinder head flatness :Standard dimension : Max. 0.03 mm (0.0012 in.)Service limit : 0.05 mm (0.002 in.)

INSTALLATION
1.Clean both gasket surfaces of the cylinder head and cylinder block.
2.Verify the identification marks on the cylinder head gasket.

3.Position the gasket surface to have the identification mark towards the cylinder head.
Do not apply sealant to these surfaces.
4.Torque the cylinder head bolts in the sequence shown in the illustration.

5.Install the cylinder head bolts. Starting at top center, tighten all cylinder head bolts in sequence as shown in illustration. Repeat the procedures, tightening all cylinder head bolt to the specified torque again.
Tightening procedure. (1) Tighten all bolts ( 1 - 8 ): 25 Nm (250 kg.cm, 18 lb.ft) (2) Tighten all bolts ( 1 - 8 ): 58°~ 62°of a turn (3) Tighten all bolts ( 1 - 8 ): 43°~ 47°of a turn

Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated

This is a Paysite

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Eric Thank you for your reply. I still need help on three aspects.
1. What is the sequence and procedure for replacing the auxilliary timing belts at the rear of the cylinder heads?
2. Is there any way in which the illustrations can be opened to gove a larger and more clear view?
Do you have an illustration of the layout of the main timing belt with all reference marks shown?
Thanks - Vee
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

What I provided is unfortunately all that is provided in the Kia sefvice manual. I dont have any more info available. I will open this question back up so that another expert may better help you