GA BenzTech
GA BenzTech, Shop Foreman, Auto Repair
Experience:  Factory Trained and Certified Mercedes-Benz Automotive Technician, Shop Foreman BMW Shop
2419524

2000 Mitsubishi galant: It stalls and..wont idle..battery change

Customer Question

After replacing the battery on my 2000 Mitsubishi galant, It stalls and at times won't idle. What could be the problem? it worked fine befoe the battery change.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no
Expert:  GA BenzTech replied 6 years ago.
Step number 8 on throttle body cleaning procedure states you should allow the vehicle to idle for 10 minutes after disconnecting the battery. I would recommend disconnecting the battery for at least 10 seconds, then reconnecting, starting the vehicle, and letting it sit at idle for at least 10 minutes. The computer needs to adjust the idle speed and set the throttle stop. You may also wish to attempt the throttle body cleaning procedure outlined below.

THROTTLE BODY (THROTTLE VALVE AREA) CLEANING

1. Start the engine and warm it up until the coolant is heated to 80 °C (176 °F) or higher. Then stop the engine.
  2. Remove the air intake hose from the throttle body.

graphic

CAUTION: Do not allow cleaning solvent to enter the bypass passage.

1. Plug the bypass passage inlet (arrow) of the throttle body.
  2. Spray cleaning solvent into the valve through the throttle body intake port and leave it for approximately five minutes .
  3. Start the engine, rev it several times and then idle it for about one minute . If the idling speed becomes unstable (or if the engine stalls) due to the bypass passage being plugged, slightly open the throttle valve to keep the engine running.
  4. If the throttle valve deposits are not removed, repeat steps 4 and 5.
  5. Unplug the bypass passage inlet.
  6. Attach the air intake hose.
  7. Use the scan tool to erase any diagnostic trouble code.
  8. Adjust the basic idle speed. NOTE: If the engine hunts while idling after adjustment of the basic idle speed, disconnect the negative cable from the battery for 10 seconds or more, and then reconnect it and run the engine at idle for about 10 minutes after the engine is warmed up.
Thanks and good luck!
GA BenzTech, Shop Foreman, Auto Repair
Experience: Factory Trained and Certified Mercedes-Benz Automotive Technician, Shop Foreman BMW Shop