Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
5624692

what causes the car to lose power and quit when coming to a ...

Customer Question

what causes the car to lose power and quit when coming to a stop? Itwas recently tuned up and the pcv valve was replaced
Category: Car
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

Hi!

Is the CEL on at all?

Does it run fine at all other times except decel?

Does it stall everytime you decel or only after driving for a certain time or acclerating up to a certain speed first, etc??

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
CEL? It runs well all other times, just when you decel, then the gauges all go down,{battery, oilpressure etc.} It can just quit after it's hot or cold, doesn't seem to matter.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

CEL is Check Engine Light.

Will it stall if you give it just a slight amount of gas when braking?

Mileage?

Were the above repairs performed to remedy the stalling or did the stalling happen after the repairs?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Haven't tried giving it gas when braking because I've had to shift to neutral to keep rpms up. repairs were performed to fix stalling problem. Was told car will readjust itself according to driving habits but it never did. Stalling occurred long before tuneup was performed. CEL never came on, but before repairs were performed service engine soon light was on. 63000 miles on vehicle.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mazda, are u there? Get my info? Please respond asap as I hate driving this car as is. Thanks!
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.
Service Engine Soon and Check Engine are same thing just different wording. Do you know what codes were stored in the computer when the SES light was on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, but have recently found out thru a friend, {mechanic} that injectors 2 and 6 are bad. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.
Did you replace the injectors and that fixed the problem or do you need more assitance?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We are in the process, but they are over $100 apiece so we're waiting until this weekend. Hopefully that will take care of the problem, but the decision to make is whether or not to replace all the injectors or just the bad ones.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What's your opinion?
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.
In my experience those injectors have a low failure rate. I think I've seen 3 or 4 of them changed in my 6 years at the GM dealership. I would recommend only changing the failed injectors since it is not a labor intensive job.

You may want to purchase some used injectors from a salvage yard since they are usually don't go bad.

I am curious as to how they failed.... Are they plugged up, did the injector coil open interally or some other failure?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for responding, but am uncertain as to the failure as of yet. Will let you know if you are still going to stay in touch with me. OK?
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

No problem.

Did you want me to try and locate you some used injectors?