RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Smog - European, Domestic, & Asian -- Car Category Mentor

1998 Subaru Forester: temperature..air conditioning..rotated..heater

My 1998 Subaru Forester puts out heat even with the fan turned off and the temperature in the blue zone. Cannot turn on air conditioning due to constant heat. It seemed to happen after I rotated the heater dial quickly from the red zone to the blue zone. I'm not talking a little heat either. It is as if the heat is on full bore. I have to roll down the windows when driving for an extended period of time.
Category: Car
Expert:  RIP replied 8 years ago.

Hi, welcome to JA.

• Sounds like you may now have a faulty control panel (which houses the temperature knob) need to remove it from the dash and inspect the cable behind it for binding. Often the cable is either stuck or the gears inside the control panel are broken.
Service and Repair

Control Unit

1. Disconnect GND cable from battery.
  2. Set temperature control switch to "FULL HOT" and mode selector switch to "DEF" position and recirc switch to "FRESH" position.

• Disconnect temperature control cable and mode door control cable from heater unit then disconnect recirc control cable from intake unit. NOTE: Do not attempt to move links during installation.
  • Remove console box.
  • Remove center panel and then disconnect connector

• Remove audio.
  • graphic

1. Remove control unit assembly from center console.
    2. Installation is in the reverse order of removal. NOTE: Before installing control unit, set temperature control switch to "FULL HOT" and mode selector switch to "DEF" position and recirc switch to "FRESH" position.