Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mehanic 39 years,30 with the NYPD Fleet Service Division
1699649

2002 Ford Taurus: squealing..noise coming..hood..serpentine belt

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus. There was a squealing/squeaking noise coming from the engine and without checking it seems to sound like a belt so I didn't think much of it. When I got fed up with listening to the squeaking and lifted to hood to apply some belt dressing I realized that the noise was actually coming from the center of the engine rather than off to the side where the serpentine belt is. I tied pinning down where the noise was coming from by using a garden hose to listen through but I wasn?t able to narrow it down. I had it in to my local mechanic and they diagnosed a bearing issue with some type of pump in the front of the transmission. They pulled it apart and found that one of the bearing was gone and replaced it however it didn?t do anything for the noise. It seems to subside a little after running the engine for a while but it doesn?t really go away all together. Again it seems to come from the center of the engine and my mechanic doesn?t have any other idea what it would be. The car doesn?t run any different that it did before it started making the noise, engine, transmission all seem to be working the same.

Any idea what it might be?
Category: Car
Expert:  Roadside Jerry replied 7 years ago.
The noise is coming from the CMP[ camshaft position sensor]. It is located on the engine where the distributor was located on older engines.This is not the first time I have heard of this problem being misdiagnosed as a transmission problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Roadside Jerry's Post: Jerry;
Thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated. One thing a dumb laymen like me doesn't get is that as I understand it the Sensor doesn't actually make contact with anything and if that is true where is the squeaking noise coming from? Also doesn't the sensor control when the spark goes to the spark plug, if it does and teh sensor is faulty somehow wouldn't the be running rough or not starting or soemthing like that.
Any additional feedback that you can provide would be appreciated,
Thanks,
From a Canadian thats not getting it.
Hi Customs Boy,The sensor makes the squeal because the bushing and shaft get dry.The clearance is tight in the sensor,when it gets dry the parts can rub. The sensor doesn't control the spark timing at all,it is used by the computer to time the injectors . If it fails the computer goes to default mode.You may never feel a difference in engine performance.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Roadside Jerry's Post: Sorry Jerry just one last question, what parts rub I understood that there are no moving parts in the sensor and that the sensor doesnt make contact with any other part?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 7 years ago.

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee. Please reply if further discussion is needed.

The cam sychronizer under the sensor is what is squeeking. The shaft is spinning since it is diven by the engine, but the base is held still. They fail and squeek because the lack of lubrication. The shaft is squeeking inside the base.

graphic

Hi Customs Boy. As a test the sensor can be removed from the synchronizer and the shaft sprayed with WD-40 .reassemble and run the engine,if the sound is gone or diminishes you will know that was the problem,and can have the part replaced. Hope this answered your question,if so please accept.Thanks ,Jerry.
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Auto Mehanic 39 years,30 with the NYPD Fleet Service Division