Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1996 subaru legacy: 2.5l..crankshaft position sensor

1996 subaru legacy 2.5l code po335 crankshaft position sensor A circuit malfunction. I don't know can you tell me what to look for.
DTC P0335: CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION (CRANK)

DESCRIPTION
The crankshaft position sensor is installed on the oil pump, located in the front center portion of the cylinder block, to detect the crankshaft position. It is designed so that the Engine Control Module (ECM) accurately reads the number of pulses which occur when protrusions provided at the perimeter of the crankshaft sprocket (rotating together with the crankshaft) cross the crankshaft position sensor.

The crankshaft position sensor is a molded type which consists of a magnet, core, coil, terminals, etc.

1. Terminal
2. Yoke Core
3. Magnet
4. Coil
5. Core
6. Cover

The crankshaft sprocket is provided with six protrusions. Crankshaft rotation causes these protrusions to cross the crankshaft position sensor so that magnetic fluxes in the coil change with the change in air gap between the sensor pick-up and the sprocket. The change in air gap induces an electromotive force which is transmitted to the ECM.

DTC DETECTING CONDITION

* Immediately at fault recognition

TROUBLE SYMPTOM:

* Engine stalls
* Failure of engine to start

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Could that be why sometimes my car won't start?
Absolutely!