Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

How do you change the fuel filter on a 99 olds alero

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Here is what I have got for you fuel filter replacement. Let me know if you have any questions or problems! Good luck!

Object Number: 288310  Size: SH

The fuel filter (2) is located under the rear of the car, behind the fuel tank. There is no service interval for fuel filter replacement. Replacement is required only if the fuel filter becomes restricted.

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure .

Caution: Provide additional support when a vehicle is on a hoist in the following ways:

Before removing parts, support the opposite end. This helps prevent the vehicle from slipping off.
    Before removing major components, chain the vehicle frame to the hoist pads at the same end as the removal. This helps avoid a tip-off.
    Failure to follow these precautions could cause vehicle damage, serious personal injury, or death.

3. Raise the vehicle and suitably support.
    Object Number: 408592  Size: SH

Caution: In order to Reduce the Risk of Fire and Personal Injury:

If nylon fuel pipes are nicked, scratched or damaged during installation, Do Not attempt to repair the sections of the nylon fuel pipes. Replace them.
    When installing new fuel pipes, Do Not hammer directly on the fuel harness body clips as it may damage the nylon pipes resulting in a possible fuel leak.
    Always cover nylon vapor pipes with a wet towel before using a torch near them. Also, never expose the vehicle to temperatures higher than 115°C (239°F) for more than one hour, or more than 90°C (194°F) for any extended period.
    Before connecting fuel pipe fittings, always apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male pipe ends. This will ensure proper reconnection and prevent a possible fuel leak. (During normal operation, the O-rings located in the female connector will swell and may prevent proper reconnection if not lubricated.)

4. Using back-up wrench to remove the fuel filter fitting.
    Object Number: 54522  Size: SH

5. Grasp the fuel filter and the fuel pipe quick-connect fitting. Twist the quick-connect fitting 1/4 turn in each direction to loosen any dirt within fitting. Using compressed air, blow out dirt from quick-connect fittings at end of fuel filter.
    Object Number: 54520  Size: SH

6. Remove the quick connect fitting by pushing inward toward the fuel filter and grasping the plastic tab around the connector and pull apart.
  7. Remove the fuel filter.

Here is how to reinstall

Object Number: 288310  Size: SH

• Remove the protective caps from the new fuel filter.
  • Install the fuel filter (2) in same position as the old fuel filter.
  • Install the fuel filter fitting using a new O-ring.
    - Apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male tube end of the filter and of the fuel sender assembly.
    - Push the quick-connector (1) together to cause the retaining tabs/fingers to snap into place.
    - Once installed, pull on both ends of each connection to make sure they are secure.
    -

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the fuel filter fitting (3).

Tighten

Use back up wrench to prevent the fuel filter O-ring or fuel pipe from damage.
    Tighten the fuel filter fitting to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).

• Lower the vehicle.
  • Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  • Inspect for fuel leaks through the following steps:
    1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position for 2 seconds.
    2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position for 10 seconds.
    3. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
    4. Check for fuel leaks.
  • Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: How do you relieve the fuel pressure before installing the filter?
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
    Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If you do, you can simply hook the fuel pressure gauge up at the engine and dump the pressure till there is none. If you do not have a gauge, you are going to have to get some rags and wrap then around the test port and use a screwdriver to press the schrader valve in the test port. Keep in mind there is going to be pressure there and fuel will squirt out. Make sure you protect yourself and cover up the schrader valve with a rag as you do this to keep from getting fuel squirted at you. It will not be alot of fuel, but one drop in an eye will hurt. You can simply press the schrader valve until the fuel stops coming out. This should only take a few seconds. Let me know if you have any more questions!
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    You forget to tell me that you need a special tool to remove the quick connect on the old filter. I think that is a vital piece of info and now that I have broken the plastic part, I hope that I can get the old one out even when I do get the tool.
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

The connector you have should not require a special tool. It should have had plastic tabs that you could press with your fingers to release. There are no special tools involved in this.

• Remove the quick connect fitting by pushing inward toward the fuel filter and grasping the plastic tab around the connector and pull apart.