Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired

how do you install a toyota previa rear wheel bearing

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

The information posted below should have everything you need. Thanks

See Figure 1

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Exploded view of the rear axle

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

With Drum Brakes

See Figures 2, 3 and 4

1. Raise and safely support the rear of the vehicle.

2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.

3. Remove the brake drum.

4. If equipped with ABS, remove the speed sensor.

5. Using a line wrench, disconnect the brake line from the wheel cylinder.

6. Remove the brake shoes from the vehicle.

7. Remove the two bolts and remove the parking brake cable from the backing plate.

8. Working through the hole in the axle flange, remove the four backing plate mounting nuts.

9. Using SST 09520-00031 or equivalent slide hammer puller, pull the axle shaft from the housing.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Use a slide hammer puller to extract the axle shaft from the housing

1. Remove the backing plate.

2. Remove the end gasket to the axle housing.

3. If equipped with ABS, press the seal and speed sensor rotor from the axle shaft.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Press out the ABS sensor rotor very carefully, do not damage the serrated edges

1. Using a grinder, grind down the inner bearing retainer on the axle shaft. Using a chisel and a hammer, cut off the retainer and remove it from the shaft.

1. Using a press, press the bearing from the axle shaft.

2. Remove the bearing outer retainer.

3. Using a seal puller, extract the oil seal from the axle housing.

To install:

1. With a driver and hammer, insert the oil seal and drive it in 0.236 inch (6.0mm).

2. Install the bearing outer retainer to the axle shaft.

3. Using a suitable driver (SST 09506-30012) or equivalent and a press, install a new bearing.

4. Heat the new inner retainer to approximately 302°F (150°C) in an oil bath. Using a suitable installer and a press, install the inner retainer to the axle shaft while the retainer is still hot.

Face the non-beveled side of the inner retainer toward the bearing.

1. If equipped with ABS, carefully install the speed sensor rotor. Using a suitable installer and a press, install the new oil seal.

Only ABS models are equipped with two oil seals!

1. Apply liquid sealant on a new axle housing gasket and install the end gasket on the rear axle housing.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Apply sealant to the new gasket on both sides

1. Install the backing plate.

2. Using a suitable tool, install the rear axle shaft.

Be careful not to damage the oil seal and speed sensor rotor (w/ABS).

1. Install the backing plate mounting nuts. Tighten the nuts to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).

2. Install the parking brake cable, brake shoes, and the drum.

3. Connect the brake line to the wheel cylinder.

4. Bleed the brake system.

5. Install the rear wheel and lower the vehicle.

6. Road test the vehicle for proper operation.

With Disc Brakes

See Figures 2 through 5

2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.

3. If equipped with ABS brakes, remove the speed sensor.

4. Using a line wrench, disconnect the brake line from the brake hose.

5. Disconnect the brake hose from the axle bracket by removing the clip.

6. Remove the brake caliper support by removing the two bolts.

7. Remove the disc and parking brake shoes.

8. Remove the parking brake cable.

9. Remove the backing plate by removing the four mounting nuts.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: These four nuts retain the backing plate on the rear axle

1. Using SST 09520-00031 or equivalent (slide hammer puller), pull the axle shaft from the housing.

2. Remove the axle housing end gasket.

3. Remove the four bolts and disconnect the backing plate from the axle shaft.

4. If equipped with ABS, press the seal and speed sensor rotor from the axle shaft.

5. Using a grinder, grind down the inner bearing retainer on the axle shaft. Using a chisel and a hammer, cut off the retainer and remove it from the shaft.

Using a press, press the bearing from the axle shaft.

1. Remove the bearing outer retainer.

2. Using a seal puller, extract the oil seal from the axle housing.

To install:

1. With a driver and hammer, insert the oil seal and drive it in 0.138 inch (3.5mm).

2. Place a new retainer gasket and bearing on the backing plate. Using a socket wrench and hammer, install the four bolts for the backing plate.

3. Install the backing plate to the axle shaft.

4. Using SST 09506-30012 or equivalent (drive pinion rear bearing cone replace) and a press, install a new bearing.

5. Heat the new inner retainer to approximately 302°F (150°C) in an oil bath. Using a suitable installer and a press, install the inner retainer to the axle shaft while the retainer is still hot.

2. Apply liquid sealant on a new axle housing gasket and install the end gasket on the rear axle housing.

3. Using a suitable tool, install the rear axle shaft.

2. Install the parking brake cable and parking brake shoes.

3. Install the rotor.

4. Install the brake caliper support and secure with the two bolts. Tighten the bolts to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm).

5. Install the brake hose to the axle bracket and attach the clip.

6. Connect the brake line to the brake hose.

7. If equipped with ABS brakes, install and secure the speed sensor.

8. Install the wheels to the vehicle.

9. Lower the vehicle.