MechanicMan
MechanicMan, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master Auto Technician 28yrs Electrical and Mechanical experience
1698514

1992 Jeep Cherokee: dealership..steering column configuration..appart

Customer Question

my 1992 Jeep Cherokee seems to have a different combination switch than what the Jeep dealership shows. The steering column configuration is the same as my 1988 Jeep Cherokee. I need to fix or replace the 92 jeep switch, but while taking it appart some parts fell out that I can't figure out where they go. I guess I need a schematic for an 88 Jeep. What do you think?
Category: Car
Expert:  MechanicMan replied 7 years ago.

Hello

Is it a tilt wheel?? floor shift??

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: Tilt Wheel, Automatic Floor Shift, No air bag, 4x4
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is the first time I have used this service. Am I supposed to be witing for some type of solution?

Hello

Is this what you want??

graphic

graphic

MechanicMan, Master Auto Tech
Experience: Master Auto Technician 28yrs Electrical and Mechanical experience
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ican't find enough detail to solve my problem. Also I can't get the tool bar at the top of the page to work. I would like to see a schematic of the inside of the actual turn signal switch area to see where one part goes and how a little hard steel spring similar to a paper clip goes. Thanks so far

TRY this

Without Air Bag

See Figures 1 through 17

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the steering wheel.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Compress the lock plate spring ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: ... enough to expose the steering wheel lock plate retaining snapring

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: If snapring pliers are not available, use a flat bladed tool to move the snapring off of the steering column shaft

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Exploded view of the lockplate components

1. Remove the lockplate cover with tool C-4156 or an equivalent lockplate compressing tool. Release the steering shaft retaining snapring.

2. Remove the lockplate, canceling cam, upper bearing preload spring and thrust washer from the steering column.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove the hazard warning switch knob

1. Remove the hazard warning switch knob. Press the knob inward and remove it from the column by turning counterclockwise.

2. If equipped with a column shift, remove the two retaining screws and the gear selector indicator cover.

3. If equipped with a column shift, remove the gear selector indicator lamp bracket retaining screw. DO NOT remove the lamp and bracket at this time.

4. Unscrew the tilt-release lever.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Using a small flat bladed tool, gently pry out the combination switch stalk handle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Unplug the combination switch wiring harness connector located underneath the steering column

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Wrap the harness connector flat against the wires so that it can be removed from the steering column

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: Remove the (1) steering column bracket-to-dashboard nuts, and (2) steering column-to-bracket bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: ... then remove the support bracket from the vehicle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: Remove the wiring harness plastic protector

1. Remove the combination lever by pulling it out straight from the column. The wiper switch must be in the off position.

2. Disconnect the turn signal wiring harness located at the lower end of the steering column. Wrap it with tape to prevent it from becoming entangled.

3. Remove the plastic protector from the wire harness.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 12: Remove the mounting screw and turn signal actuater arm (A), then remove the turn signal switch attaching screws (B)

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 13: Remove the 3 Torx® head screws from the steering column barrell ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 14: ... then pull the turn signal switch, steering column barrel and combination switch assembly from the steering column

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 15: Remove the combination switch-to-steering column pivot peg by pushing it through the bottom ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 16: ... then pulling it out through the top using pliers ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 17: ... then pull the combination switch out of the steering column barrel

1. Remove the turn signal switch retaining screws and the dimmer switch actuator arm, then remove the switch. Guide the switch straight up out of the steering column.

To install:

1. Install the turn signal switch and wiring harness. Install the dimmer switch actuator arm and turn signal switch retaining screws. Tighten turn signal and dimmer switch attaching screws to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm).

2. Install the combination lever and tilt release lever.

3. If equipped with a column shift, install the two retaining screws and the gear selector indicator cover.

4. If equipped with a column shift, install the gear selector indicator lamp bracket retaining screw.

5. Install the hazard warning switch knob. Press the knob inward and install it from the column by turning clockwise.

6. Install the lockplate, canceling cam, upper bearing preload spring and thrust washer from the steering column.

7. Install the lockplate cover and install the steering shaft retaining snapring.

8. Install the steering wheel. Tighten the nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).

9. Connect the negative battery cable

Hey just to let you know this isn't instant message it is email based so you may experience a waiting period....thanks for your patience
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry!! These are the exact same pictures and procedures I went through with my Chilton manual number (8143) 40602. And that is where I am stuck at. If I could get a blow up, schematic or whatever of Figure #16 that would probably solve my problem. Thanks again for trying.
Thats the best I got...dealer should have better pics than me.....I will open question to other experts
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just read you last reply about dealer pics etc. I really appreciate your efforts.

ok good luck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As far as I can tell I only received one reply and that information came right out of the book I am using for this process. I appreciated his help but obviously I did not get any farther than where I started. If there is another response besidesCustomerplease let me know. Thanks, XXXXX

Hello

car help4 u helped with this hope it hepls

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think this is it. Is this for a Jeep Cherokee? And the only thing left to ask is how do I go about putting this "jig saw puzzle" together? Just follow the numbers? If you could enlighten me anymore I would appreciate it. And then I think I'll hit (Accept). And probably will anyway. I really appreciate your time and trouble. I am going to be gone until late tomorrow afternoon, and I will take care of this promptly!!

tHIS IS THE BEST WE CAN GET THIS TRUCK IS 20 YRS OLD I think exception grasp of the mechanicalabilities will get you thru this

If ANY of this was of help PLEASE HIT ACCEPT AND BONUSES AND POSITIVE FEEDBACK WELOCOMED

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think I can take it from here but sure would'nt mind e-mailing you a question if I run into a snag. You have as they used to say "gone above and beyond the call of duty". I can't give you the silver star but for sure positive feedback of the best kind and allthough we are short on money (otherwise I would have put the damn thing in a mechanics shop, I'm going to throw in an extra $5.00 but I wish it could be more.

Thank you so very much for using JA and I wish you the best......and tell your friends.and have them tell their friend.......lol THANKS