Paul, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  30 years Master Technician, Instructor,Shop Owner,Expert Advisor,Fleet Supervisor,Reserch

time i accelerate my car it makes a rattling noise when i take

Customer Question

Every time i accelerate my car it makes a rattling noise when i take off do you know what it is ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Paul replied 9 years ago.
Depending on the type of car or truck you have, and if the rattling noise is in fact pinging.The reasons could be out of time,causing the spark plug to fire when the piston is still traveling up to top dead center.The other reason would be very hot exhaust valve, fires off the gas, before the spark plug gets the chance.Also carbon on the valve gets hot and starts to glow like a charcoal briquette, and ignites the gas,before the spark plug.First the determination has to be made as the cause,then the treatment. Which could be an engine cleaner,a timing adjustment,or a new head gasket or valve job.Without know the year make and engine,I can only speak generically.Download this illustration.Let me know if you need anything,and please remember to click accept. Thank You