Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
2617050

99 olds alero: the instrument panel lights..headlights come

i have a 99 olds alero the instrument panel lights do not come on when the headlights come on
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 6 years ago.

Are you sure the dimmer control isnt turned all the way down?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: yes i checked that not the problem

Didnt think so, but,,,You know i had to ask :-)

These vehicles have 3 fuse panels.

Check the fuse in the passenger side fuse panel,,,see below.

graphicgraphic

Virtual Wrench (L J), Master Mechanic
Experience: 35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: checked that one its ok

Ok,

Check this fuse,,,its what supplies ground to to complete the circuit.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: nope thats fine too????? this is wierd i checked every fuse well all the mini fuses so i cant figure this out

Thats ok,,,,we are just working our way there,,,

I'm pretty sure the fault lies in the lamp dimmer module (see diagram i sent)

I dont have any more info where its at, other than behind left side of dash. If you can but another one, and then find it,,,i think it will solve this issue.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok changed the light dimmer switch thats not it either that cost me 35.00 bucks and i can't return it

Hi there,

Do you have a DVOM to test every single component and wire in that circuit?

If not, we will just be chasing our tails by replacing parts,,,,not good.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i've test lighted everything fuses wires going into the dimmer switch i can't think of anything else

Thanks,

I was refering to a volt/ohm meter, so you could test the resistance in the wiring,,,its a tough measurement.

Like i initially said, i believe the problem lies in the dimmer MODULE,,,not the SWITCH...did you by chance misunderstand me?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i guess i did. ok so the module i'll try that next
Ouch,,,i'm just a little concerned though,, as there is always a possibility of a broken wire, although unlikely,,,please dont shoot me if it doesnt work :-)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is the module located?

This is the only thing i have that tells where its located,,,,you probably are better off just getting the new one, then look under the left side of dash and match it up.

graphic

Maybe this will help....

Instrument Panel Lamp Dimmer Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the left sound insulator.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector.

1. Remove the screws from the dimmer module (1).

Installation Procedure

1. Install the screws to the dimmer module (1).
  2. Connect the electrical connector.
  3. Install the left sound insulator.

Hi there, i have been thinking about this some more and now i'm thinking the park lamp relay might be at fault. if you look at this diagram, you will notice that the park lamp relay is what supplies the ground for the dimmer to complete the circuit.....now i'm nervous..

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well i wound up taking it to a mechanic who said it was the cluster cause if you moved the wiring harness around it would work for a few seconds then shut off well i went out and bought one ouch. well that was still not it so then jumped the circut so now the lights are on anytime i turn the car on but at least they work now
be right back..
Just for grins, remove the park lamps relay from the underhood fuse box, and find another relay in there that has the same terminal configuration (alot of them are the same type relay in there) and swap it out and see if it works,,,,i just gotta know..