David, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and L1 certified, Isuzu Master Elite Technician, Nissan Senior Specialist, 14 yrs exp

Runs rough..white smoke comes out of tail pipe..backfire..muffler

Customer Question

car hard to start, runs rough alot of white smoke comes
out of tail pipe: 1999 daewoo langanza/// backfire at
times; sometime after started runs smooth, sounds like
muffler./catelack converter going out
Submitted: 6 years ago via OnlineAutoRepair.
Category: Car
Expert:  David replied 6 years ago.

From the symptoms you just stated, it sounds like you have a blown head gasket. The excessive white smoke out the tail pipe is the give away. Pull the engine oil dipstick and check to see if the oil looks like chocolate milk. If it does--coolant/antifreeze is entering the crankcase and combustion chambers. This means you will have to remove the head and inspect to see where the problem is. If you would like more information, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be happy to help. I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks for using justanswer.com,

David, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE Master and L1 certified, Isuzu Master Elite Technician, Nissan Senior Specialist, 14 yrs exp
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
don't think it is the head gasket checked that
no water on engine, also the oil was just changed
about 3 weeks ago and it still looks clean did that.
Expert:  David replied 6 years ago.

Pull the spark plugs and inspect condition. Let me know what they look like. I would check compression also. The only problem i have is that white smoke means water. If the exhaust was restricted it would be consistent and not intermittent.

Let me know,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok,
Expert:  David replied 6 years ago.

I was thinking about your car overnight and realized that you should check the intake gasket also. any where that coolant might run through.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry took so long, had to work
today the oil was choc milk, and would not
turn over, stay running,wanted to.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX find a repair manual for
a daewoo, guest will have to put in shop
ouch. not sure if any other damage is caused.
Expert:  David replied 6 years ago.

Glad to help. I can help ypu with the head gasket but timing it gets tricky. It can be done.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can my car be repaired w/o going to a shop
by a person that knows about cars, w/o a repair
manual? I by al means don
Expert:  David replied 6 years ago.

Not really--You need torque specifications, tightening sequences, timing marks and helpful disassembly steps with pictures. Try contacting Helm,Inc. Their # XXXXX XXXXX They printed the manuals for Daewoo. If you still can't find a manual, let me know and I cantry to e-mail them to you.