Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

Where is the crankshaft sensor located on a 2003 Town ...

Customer Question

Where is the crankshaft sensor located on a 2003 Town and Country with a 3.3 Liter Motor? I just climbed under the van and had a great view of the back of the motor. It is not located below the exhaust manifold as shown in the Mitchells schematic.Installation instructions would be a great help too.
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 7 years ago.

Here is an illustration of the crank sensor location

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Marc,
        This is the same schematic I have. The sensor is not located here. There are 3 freeze plugs on this side of the block and a bracket (motor mount) any other ideas?
   Just to clarify ...I am looking from the bottom up through the space between the firewall and the motor. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
any other place it might be located, do some motors use a different style sensor?
Expert:  Marc replied 7 years ago.

There is no motor mount on the rear side of the block are you looking at the front side of the engine or the rear?

It is located just above the passenger side drive shaft

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am looking at the rear of the motor (closest to the firewall) I have a clear view. I am under the car looking up....the transaxale is going across this area. I can feel the whole back side of the motor, I can see the whole back side of the motor, I have an inspection mirror to look in all the hidden spots, there arent any electrical wires either that would be needed to hook up the sensor to.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the only thing mounted on the back of the motor is a small foam covered bracket with a tube going thru it that runs to the smog pump or some other contraption
Expert:  Marc replied 7 years ago.
Under hood, driver side, upper engine area, mounted on end of engine block Picks up signal off the flywhell mounted in the bellhousing (hole in bellhousing )
Expert:  Marc replied 7 years ago.

This is not exactly the same engine as yours but it will give you an idea of where to look .

Expert:  Marc replied 7 years ago.

Here is the correct location, on the upper rear corner of trans bellhousing.