RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Smog - European, Domestic, & Asian -- Car Category Mentor
1100518

99 olds intrigue: overheats..new waterpump, thermostat, & rad..rev

99 olds intrigue 3.5 overheats new waterpump, thermostat, & rad. When hot I rev engine up for a sec and the temp drops fast.
Category: Car
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

Hi, welcome to JA.

• How many miles are on this Intrigue?
  • Did the overheating begin after one of the components you mentioned was replaced?

~Rip

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
200,000 miles
The overheating started and then changed the components and still overheats.
The over heating only happens when driving.
No bubles in over flow tank.
Temp at bottom rad hose is around 90 and the top is 150 but the sender is at 230, this is with a rayteck gun.
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

Are the fans comming on? Is the check engine lamp comming on as well?

~Rip

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
yes the fans are comming on low at first and after the temp gets to 225 the fans go to high
no check lamp
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you may need to get a block test done on the cooling system. This test will check for engine combustion gases in the cooling system and this will tell us if the head gasket is failing. Or you may have air trapped in the cooling system - have you already tried bleeding the system?

~Rip

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have tried to bleed the air out but don't know if I'm doing it right. How do I bleed all the air out? I can't find a bleeder screw.
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

There should be an airbleed on the radiator, but if you new one is aftermarket...it may not. What I like to do is (on a cold engine) pull one of the hear hoses and fill the radiator/resevoir until coolant runs consistant from the removed hose. When it does, reinstall the hose...fill the system...than let the engine run until it is at normal operating temperature on the guage...shut it down, and let it cool completely with the cap still off. This helps purge the air out, I like to leave troublesome ones open all nite. Than add any remaining coolant to the resevoir if air purged. Cap it off and let it run, monitor the fans to come on at normal temp, if the thing still overheats, you should get a block test kit and see if the head gasket is an issue.

~Rip

Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

I'm sorry I forgot to leave a pic of the heater hoses i'm talking about (see below)....also be sure your careful and take the hose off gently, you don't want to break the heater core.

~Rip

graphic