Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

1999 mazda 626 LX: automatic transmission..a filter kit..drained..pan

I am trying to replace the automatic transmission oil and filter in a 1999 mazda 626 LX with 4 cylinder engine and a LA4A automatic transaxle. I bought a filter kit, drained the transmision fluid, removed the only removable pan on the transmission and found only the valve body. No filter in sight. There is a filter in the kit and the gasket in the kit fits the valve body cover. Where is the filter and how do I get to it? I have done this job on several cars in the past.
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 9 years ago.

Hello I'm Chris a Certified Transmission specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially. Please reply if further discussion is needed.

Disassembly is required to access the filter. On this model the filter is not replaced unless damage is found and transmission is disassembled for rebuild