Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

what happens if a strut fails

what can happen to a vehicle if a strut breaks or fails while driving the car?

Hello I'm Chris a Certified Suspension specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially. Please reply if further discussion is needed.

A strut is a combination of a spring to hold the car up and a shock which dampers the bounce after a speed bump or pot hole. If the shock portion fails the vehicle will lean more in turns and it will continue to bounce after bumps are driven over. If the spring breaks you will here some noise occuring and notice the vehicle sagging on that corner showing lower than the other 3 corners.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Is there any actual danger in driving a vehicle with a broken strut?
It depends if the spring is broken or the shock. Shock damage can cause a wheel to break traction with the road resulting in wreck. If the spring is broken the vehicle could bottom out over bumps casing even worse damage. It should be ok to drive if you take it easy and keep it not over 55mph. But I do recommend doing this for more than a week.