orlan34, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer, DIY, racing experience

Why does my car jump, cut off, slows down

I have a 1984 Ford Crown Victoria. It jumps and sometimes a burnt smell comes through the vents. It jumps and acts like it is farting(excuse my language but that is the only way I can describe it)and it will cut off sometimes. Also the engine appears to drop and the car will slow down and I can put my foot all the way down to the floor on the excelarator, but it will not go any faster until it decides it wants to, and then there is a burst of power. I hope you can answer this question for me.
Category: Car
Expert:  orlan34 replied 9 years ago.

You have either a bad ignition coil, ignition module, fuel pump relay, distributor cap and or rotor.

It doesn't hur to start with a normal tune up (spark plugs/cables, fuel filter, distributor cap/rotor; unless you have recently) then try ignition coil which shouldn't be expensive and also the coil and module can be tested at an autoparts like AutoZone.

If it is fuel injected and or electronic ignition there's a chance of bad crankshaft position sensor.