Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!

2000 Buick Lesabre: turn signals..both rear bulbs as well as the fuse

My 2000 Buick Lesabre turn signals are not working in the rear. They flash very rapidly but do work in the front. We have replaced both rear bulbs as well as the fuse. Help!!! I am going to get a ticket if I can't get this figured out. I am a single mom with 3 little girls that does not have the money that a mechanic will charge to look at it.

Do your brake lights and hazard lights work?

Do your reverse lights work?

Do your parking lights work?

Try turning the hazard lights on and off about 10 times and see if that makes any difference in the turn signal operation.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Mazda Ed's Post: My brake, reverse and parking lights do work. My hazard lights do not. I will try the turning off thing and see if it does any good.

It's common for the connections in the hazard flasher switch to become corroded over time. Usually pushing the switch in and out several times quickly will restore the functions for a little while. Ultimately you will need to replace the switch if pushing it makes the lights work temporarily.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Mazda Ed's Post: Unfortunately that did not work sat out there for 15 minutes trying to get it to work but did not. Any other suggesstions or do I need to just give in and spend the money that I do not have?
If you have a meter we can measure voltages at the hazard/flasher module to verify if it is working correctly. If not, the most common problem is the hazard switch itself (also called the flasher module).
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I do not have a meter. How do you find out where the flasher module is and is it an expensive fix?

If you can find the little connector under the driver side of the dash that a scan tool plugs into then it is right above that behind the dash.

Object Number: 491538  Size: MF

Before you just replace parts I am giving you the schematic so you can have someone test the system for you.

Object Number: 397771  Size: FS

Object Number: 397784  Size: FS

Object Number: 397777  Size: FS

This should be all the info they need to properly diagnose your lights.