Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

Battery light came..I head what sounded like a rattle/click..slowly

Customer Question

My check battery light came on in my car while I was driving. I head what sounded like a rattle/click before my car completed died. All the lights came on while my car slowly declerated until it died. I popped the hood and saw smoke.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 years ago.
Hi there! There could be a couple of issues going on here.Sometimes a poor connection on the battery will cause it to smoke.Also(this is the likley problem)the alternator may be over charging the battery.It is very important to have the charging system tested and make sure this is not happening.It will kill the battery and could damage other electrical componants.At this point it probably has killed the battery,so make sure you have it tested.Hope this helps!Thanks