Larry
Larry, Automotive technical expert
Experience:  30 years automotive technical writer, editor & author
4265081

I have a 1997 Cadillac Eldorado with a coolant system leak.

I have a 1997 Cadillac Eldorado with a coolant system leak. All the visible radiator and bypass hoses look OK. Water pump isn't making noises. The tech manual doesn't show any more hoses underneath and I haven't been able to get it on a lift to find a source.    Anything obvious come to mind?
If the leak is not external, it might be bad news because that wouold mean you have an internal leak (probably a bad head gasket).

To find out if this is the problem, you need to have the cooling system pressure tested. They do this with a small hand pump. If the system can't hold pressure for 10 minutes, it indicates an internal leak.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Larry's Post: Wouldn't I have coolant in my oil if I had an external leak or any other symptoms of a bad head qasket? It runs smooth otherwise.
It depends where the gasket is leaking. It may leak coolant into the crankcase, in which case you would find coolant in the oil. Or it may leak into the combustion chamber in which case it would just go out the tailpipe.

The other possibility if you don't see any leaks in the engine compartment is a leaky heater core. But usually you get a stong smell of antifreeze inside the car, misting on the windows and a wet spot on the carpet under the heater.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your help.
If my answers helped you resolve your problem, please accept now. Thanks.