DoctorD
DoctorD, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master, AAA State 1st place, Rotary Club, 20 years Exp.
5480360

I have an 01 Acura CL Type S. My check engine light went ...

Customer Question

I have an 01 Acura CL Type S. My check engine light went on, as my car started to run roughly. I scanned my car and found 5 codes; misfires in cylinders 1,2,3,5, and 6, and a code for "random cylinder misfire". My car has 90,000 miles on it, so my first move was to change the spark plugs, it didn't work. What should i look at next? Coils? Harness?
Category: Car
Expert:  DoctorD replied 9 years ago.
Real common on these to have the EGR port restricted with carbon causing multiple misfires. You will have to remove the upper cover as shown below. There will be 4 ports within the plenuim that will need cleaned out. And remove the metal gasket plate and clear the channels and port there as well. Clean everything out real well and clear codes, You should notice a nice improvement. You can re-use the gasket.
graphic
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to DoctorD's Post: I took off the cover and cleaned out the ports, it was very dirty in there, but it did not resolve my problem. What else can I try?
Expert:  DoctorD replied 9 years ago.
Give me a little bit more detail on your actual problem as best as you can describe.
\Thanks!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to DoctorD's Post: I have multiple cylinder misfire codes, the car idles very rough and the rpm's drop to about 250 when i stop at a red light.when i hit the gas the car stutters. i smell kind of a burning smell and maybe some gas after driving. i'm not sure what else you want to know.