Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. No Hazard lights, No ...

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. No Hazard lights, No turn signals. Steve7654, if you are out there, please give this some thought. Your advice about flasher module & combination switch was good, but didn't work. Both replaced with brand new. (All fuses, bulbs replaced.) It must be a wire. (Right before this happened, I slammed the engine hood down.) I have a tone & probe set for wires...which ones am I looking for? A positive, or separate ground, or what? What color wire do you think? I started to pull away the power block under the hood, and looked underneath and there are a lot of wires under there, all wrapped up into groups!! Jiggled them around a little ...Also, no dash indicators when I start car,for tun signals, hazzrds, but everything else is ok there, including air bag, as there was a recall on this vehicle for the "clockspring" assembly" but the recall says if the air bag light comes on during start, it's ok, and it does. check engine light is on, but that was bef
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 9 years ago.

graphic

graphic

The Signal/Hazard Warning Flasher (Combination Flasher) is a module providing turn signal, hazard warning functions and has been designed with internal relays to take advantage of low current switching requirements in the vehicle. It is plugged into the Junction Block at positions 4 where all wiring associated with its operation is terminated. The Junction Block is adjacent to and left of the steering column of the vehicle.

To gain access to the device, remove the lower steering column cover and knee blocker.

The combination flasher may be operated in its hazard warning mode either with or without the ignition circuit being active. However, in order to operate in the turn signal mode, the ignition circuit must be completed to the module.

While the combination flasher is idle, there is no current drawn through the module. The device does not become active until a signal ground circuit is supplied to either of the turn signal inputs or the hazard warning input.

Typical flash rate for the flasher is 90 flashes per minute .

When a lamp is burnt out for a given side of the vehicle or a wire is open to a lamp, the flash rate will increase to 180 flashes per minute when in the turn signal mode. When in the hazard warning signal mode the flash rate remains at 90 flashes per minute .

Turn signal inputs that actuate the flasher are low current grounds, each drawing a maximum of 300 mA. , and are provided to the flasher through the Junction Block from the multi-function switch that is mounted to the steering column. The hazard warning signal input is a low current ground drawing a maximum of 600 mA through the multi-function switch.

DAYTIME RUNNING LAMP (DRL) MODULE
The Combination Flasher/DRL is a module providing turn signal, hazard warning, and daytime running light functions, and has been designed with internal relays to take advantage of low current switching requirements in the vehicle. It is plugged into the junction block at positions 3 AND 4 where all wiring associated with its operation is terminated.

The combination flasher/DRL may be operated in its hazard warning mode either with or without the ignition circuit being active. However, in order to operate in the turn signal mode or the DRL mode, the ignition circuit must be completed to the module.

While the ignition is ON, the front turn signal filaments are illuminated steadily thus providing the DRL function. The DRL function may be inhibited by applying a signal ground input from either the park brake circuit or the headlamp relay activation circuit.

Turn signal inputs that actuate the flasher are low current grounds, each could draw a maximum of 300 mA. , and are provided to the flasher through the Junction Block from the multi-function switch that is mounted to the steering column. The hazard warning signal input is a low current ground that could draw a maximum of 600 mA. through the multi-function switch.

TURN SIGNAL SYSTEM
The turn signals are actuated with a lever on the left side of the steering column just ahead of the steering wheel. The signals are automatically turned OFF by a canceling cam (two lobes molded to the clock- spring mechanism), The cam comes in contact with the cancel actuator on the turn signal (multi-function) switch assembly. Either cam lobe, pushing on the cancel actuator, returns the switch to the OFF position.

Lane change signaling is actuated by applying partial turn signal stalk movement toward the direction desired until the indicator lamps flashes in the instrument cluster. When the switch stalk is released the stalk will spring back into the neutral position turning OFF the turn signal.

With the ignition switch ON and the turn signal switch stalk actuated left or right, current flows through the:

• Combination flasher
  • Multi-function switch
  • indicator lamp
  • Front and rear turn signal bulbs.

A chime will sound after the vehicle has traveled a distance of approximately 0.5 mile with the turn signal ON.

graphic

graphic

_________________________________________

I have posted above for you the circuit operational description, as well as the portion of the schematics that shows the turn signal wiring to help you in your diagnosis.

Check fuses #14 and 12 for power at both sides.

Check the flasher module cavity for 12 volts at pins #1 and 6 when the key is ON.

If you have power at the flasher unit, you may want to try replacing the flasher module..