Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic

2002 Kia Sportage: The timing manual

The timing belt on my 2002 Kia Sportage 2.0L engine broke the other day. I am having trouble finding a Haynes repair manual. Apparently Hayne's doesnt make the manual for the Sportage for some reason.......   I have everything taken off and am ready to install the new belt.... I just don't know the particular procedure for setting the timing on this particular engine.... I know the crank pulley needs to be aligned on the TDC mark but i'm not for sure for which cylinder.....I'm assuming piston #1 needs to be TDC, and the Crank pulley needs to be lined up like I said.... but then I am also not sure in what position the two camshafts need to be in.... Can you help me??
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 9 years ago.

Here you are, straight from KIA :-)

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: as far as I can tell, this page from Kia didn't help me.   It just tells me how to remove the timing belt.... I need to know how to align the sprockets and piston, etc. to get it all re-installed
Did you click on the instructions to enlarge the images?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The first response I only received only the 'removal' page... this last time i did get all of the figure pics, as well as the 'install' page....I am still a little puzzled though..... I think the problem is that my belt actually broke while the engine was running.... so the crank and cams are out of alignment....unless i'm just reading the 'install' directions wrong, I don't really understand the positions all the sprockets have to be in, and which position the piston has to be in.

The #1 piston has to be at TDC..thats on the crankshaft...

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
okay that answered the one question I had... that the #1 piston needs to be TDC..... which spark plug is #1 though... the four spark plugs on the 2.0L go front to back in a straight row on the top of the engine.... sometimes they are marked I know but I don't see any markings to identify them....   also what position does the cam sprockets need to be in..... by reading the 'install' page it appears to be saying that the intake sprocket on the passenger side needs to have the 'I' on the top of the sprocket..... and the exhaust sprocket on the driver side needs to have the 'E' on the top of that sprocket.....

But then the directions on the install page indicate to turn the crank in order to line up the S on the exhaust sprocket...... not really for sure what they are saying there.....   Seems like these directions leave alot to be assumed...

Here is the firing order that shows #1 cylinder,,,sorry,,,i thought you knew which one it was.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
okay I know which piston is I need to align the crank mark with the #1 piston TDC.... but the only thing I am not understanding from these directions from Kia is about the position of the cam sprockets.....It seems to be telling me to align the intake sprocket with I at top...... and the exhaust sprocket with E at top.... at that point go ahead and install belt with out moving any sprockets.... but then it says to rotate crank until the exhaust sprocket has the S at top.... unsure what that is about...???
As long as you aling the cam marks up and the crank marks up,,,it is refering to rotating the engine on the tension side of the belt,,,you dont really have to worry about that, just dont turn the engine the opposite way,,,,if you have both cam marks lined up with the crank in the proper position, and the belt has no slack on the rotational side, then tighten it down, and the cams should then be in time with the crank...