Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired

I locked my keys inside my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I ...

Customer Question

I locked my keys inside my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I wanted to know how to open the door without having to pay someone to do it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Bob replied 9 years ago.
You may be able to rent a tool called a "slim jim" from an auto parts store. It is designed to slide in and down along side the window to access and trip the lock mechanism. As soon as you see it, you will understand how to use it. It takes some practice to get a feel for using this tool, some guys are actually artists with one. But they tend to be car thieves and have it down to a science. Other than the slim jim, you only other options are a lock smith, for which you pay. Or taking proof of owner ship and personal ID to a local dealer and having them access the information about your car on the builders internal web site. They can pull up key codes from there and make you new keys while you wait. Good luck with it and thanks, Bob