FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

1998 Isuzu Rodeo: 3.2 liter V6..loud knock..runs great except..rebuilt

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo with the 3.2 liter V6, I has developed a loud knock in the back of the engine. It starts and runs great except the knock. Can it be rebuilt?
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer it the knock any different if the car is warm or cold?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bobby,
Not that I can tell, but to be honest, we bought the vehicle with the knock and haven't really driven it, except to drive it off the trailer.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
You need to start by making sure whether the noise is coming from the engine or the transmission. It could be a rod knock or a torque converter. Do you plan on fixing this yourself?
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience: AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Probably won't fix it myself. I have done mechanics for years, including building/installing engines, but am worn out on it with four kids driving older vehicles and no time. I believe this is a rod knocking, as the knock doesn't go away when I drive it. Is there another way to diagnose the torque converter?
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
It is hard to diagnose one from the other without getting under the vehicle. Sometimes a bad converter will change in tone when the vehicle is put in gear. Does the check engine light happen to be on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't think the light is on, but I will check for sure tomorrow. I think the best thing for me to do is to drive it a little bit and see what it does and not rely on other people telling me what they hear. I should have driven it around after we took it off the trailer, but it was dark and raining and my wife was waiting in my truck, blah, blah, blah. Long story short, I didn't follow through and do what I knew I should. I will get back with you tomorrow when I know more.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
Okay. Let me know. You may have something a little more on the simple side. POssibley a bad pulley or something. Take a general look and let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to BOBBY's Post: Bobby,

OK, I drove it and there is no check engine light. The engine starts and runs great. There is no real change in the sound of the knock when the vehicle gets warmed up or when you put it in gear, except of course, the RPMs dropping. I drove it pretty hard and reved it up almost to red line. It really does run good, except for that stupid knock. I am afraid to say that it does sound like a rod, but if it is possible, it almost sounds like the knock moves around from the rear of the engine to one side or the other. Maybe that is just my aging ears. Any ideas Doc?
Steve
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
It is strange that it runs so well with the knock. You may be looking at some major engine work if it is internal. I would be inclined to still remove the torque converter cover and check the mounting bolts. Maybe the flywheel/converter bolts are loose. I have seen this quite a bit.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to BOBBY's Post: Well, unfortunately the knock is in the engine. Torque Conv and flywheel are fine. I have heard different opinions, is this engine worth doing a rebuild on? My thoughts are to have the crank turned and replace the rod that is knocking and put in a master rebuild kit, to include new pistons.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
There is no reason that you cannot rebuild this engine. You are correct on what to do with the rod and crank. After the complete overhaul the engine should last a long time.