Joel
Joel, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  18 years and growing GM, ASE certified. Specializing in Chevy, Buick, Olds, Pontiac.ASK!
5217488

2003 Chevy Blazer: I fill the gas tank the pump shuts..overflows

I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer, when I fill the gas tank the pump shuts off before the tank is compleatly full, if I try to squeeze even a few more cents in it overflows, what causes this?
Category: Car
Expert:  Joel replied 9 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. As long as the gauge is correct, then a common

problem on the truck is that the evap. system vent solenoid is stuck, causing backpressure in the tank, causing the pump to shut off. That solenoid is above the spare tire, has a large plastic hose going to it, and 1 electrical connector. sometimes tappinh on it will help, if not, needs to be replaced. If this was helpfull, please ACCEPT. Positive feedback also welcome, thanks.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Joel's Post: I tried tapping on the vent solenoid, that didnt help so I changed the solenoid, that didnt help either it still doesnt fill all the way up, and spills over when I try to squeeze only a few more cents in, NOW my "service engine soon" light is on and wont go off!!!
Expert:  Joel replied 9 years ago.
Well, if you were tapping on the solenoid or had the gas cap off with the engine running or the key on, that would cause an engine light. Cannot say if that the solenoid may not be a good one, or improper internal resistance,. Was it a gm part? D you know what cose was stored? Please explain a little more about your original post. Are you trying to fill the tank to absolute full when the problem occurs, or does it shut off below absolute full? Does it shut off at any other tank levels?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The solenoid was a GM replacement from my Chevorlet dealer. The code was from the gas cap being loose. The original question was that when I try to fill the gas tank all the way full when the pump shuts off and I try to round off to the next even dollar, even if it is just a few cents short, it overflows, I can't even get a few cents more in without it overflowing. The gage says the it only about 7/8 full. It only shuts off when I try to fill it, It doesnt stop pumping at half a tank or any other tank levels. When it shuts off I cant "squeeze" in a few more cents without it running out onto the ground, and the gage saying that it is only at about 7/8 full.
Expert:  Joel replied 9 years ago.
OK. If not the solenoid, then 1 of 2 things. Either there is a restriction somewhere down in the filler tube, or the gas gauge is inaccurate. Normally when these gauges go bad, they tend to act irratic. The gauge will swing when stopping or accereating, or when turning corners. The gauge will go from one reading to another, then back. that would be a sign that the level sensor in the tank is bad. But it could also be reading lower than the actual level in the tank.