ttiger79
ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Certified advanced level engine performance
2207141

97 VW: cranks..no start due to no spark.DTCs #P0341 & P1340

Customer Question

'97 VW PASSAT.Engine cranks,but no start due to no spark.DTC's
#P0341 & P1340.Getting fuel.Engine replaced,but never ran.
Category: Car
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 7 years ago.
Hi!
Which motor do you have in your Passat? Have you tried checking for anything else to fix the problem?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to ttiger79's Post: Hi.There is a VR6,2.8l gas motor in the car.Of
4/5 wires going to ign. module under coil pack,
the brown,heavy guage wire has batt. voltage w/
key in "run".Checked all fuses and fusable links
that we could find.New engine had been installed,
but not run.Wiring harnesses in eng compartment
don't seem to be cut/modified/damaged.Nothing
unplugged found.Heavy oil residue found in air
filter plumbing from old motor,but new throttle body clean.Bad cam sensor?Bad crank sensor?Some prob with old motor mis-diagnosed?No history
known on car or motor.New plugs,wires,filters
installed @ time of motor swap.
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 7 years ago.
Sounds like you are having fun with this one! I'm having issues with a VR6 at work right now and it's driving me nuts!

The oil you found is there on every one of these motors, so that's not going to be a problem. Sounds like you are on the right track, though. I'm not sure if it's a mis-diagnosis from the tech that replaced the motor. Without the history, I can't tell you that.

The two codes you have both point at the camshaft position sensor. The P0341 is a camshaft position sensor range/ performance problem, and the P1340 is a camshaft/ crankshaft position sensor out of sync code. This means that if the two sensors are not syncronized, the computer can't tell where the pistons are, so it cannot tell when to fire the coils. I think you are going to be chasing the camshaft position sensor on this one. This is not an easy one to chase without a lab scope, but I'm going to give you some tests.

graphic

The camshaft position sensor is number 1 in the diagram. It's on the right side of the motor. To start with, disconnect the 3 wire connector from the sensor and turn the key to the run position.
graphic

Check the voltage across pins 1 and 3 and tell me what you find.