Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

Fuel pump relay on a 1988 jeep comanche 4.0 liter 6 cylinder engine?

Customer Question

Where is the fuel pump relay on a 1988 jeep comanche 4.0 liter 6 cylinder engine?
Category: Car
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

The fuel pump relay should be in the Underhood Power Distribution Center (PDC). It should look something like this.

graphic

There should be printing on the inside of the cover to tell which relay is for the fuel pump. On my jeep, it is second from the left.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay if that is my engine than all but 4 relay switches is missing from my vehicle.If you open the hood and stand in front of the vehicle towards the relay box there is only 4 black boxes.On the drivers side there is only one.Which one is the fuel pump relay?Could you highlight it or something?
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Hi newguy,

This is all I have on your particular car. I will opt out and see if another expert can help you.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Your pic of the relay is too new to be mine.Like I said my truck only has 4 relays and the cover doesn't say whats what.I tried starting the car and pulling relays to determine but only found the ignition relay.Could the ignition relay power the fuel pump as well?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

graphicHere is what I have. see if it helps!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Much appreciated that is my relay system.Can you also find me a pic of all the vacuum lines?The previous owner ripped most of them out and I am having trouble making heads or tails of it.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay one more for you is thier an inline fuse on the fuel pump wires somewhere?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
The red wire that leads to connection #1 on the fuel pump relay does have an orange fusible link in it. I am unsure of the exact location.
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Alright that helps.The problem keeping it running was loose wiring on the resistor block.I still believe there is trouble with the wiring but will keep you updated.the truck has to be running right as it has to make a trip to california.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Good luck! Let me know how you make out!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The connector on the resistor block is broke it is just a mater of going to autozone and buying another one probably this week end.Same with a lot of vacuum hose.I also have a slight tranny leak.It looks like the fitting has an oring it is an automatic tranny the fitting is what I believe to be a return tube.Any clue as to what size the oring could be?