Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

I need to bypass the anti theft module on my 96 lumina, ...

Customer Question

I need to bypass the anti theft module on my 96 lumina, lost the key and changed the ignition to a no chip key, jumping the starter at the solenoid and it starts then dies HELP !!
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
There is no way to turn the system off. The pelletized keys work on a certain resistance measurement. You have to have the resistance there for the vehicle to start. The only way to get away without having a vats key is to find the resistance of the original key and soldering a resistor into the two wire leads that go to the ignition cylinder. You do not have your key, so you will have to jump through some hoops to make this work. The first thing you are going to need to do is find out what key you should have. You local GM dealer can get this info with a key code request. If they are willing to work with you. After you have the vats key # XXXXX need to gain access to a key blank and ohm out the resistance from one side to the other on the resistor pellet in the key. After you have this resistance, you need to come up with a resistor. Radio shack can help with this. It is just a simple resistor. This needs to be soldered into the harness that runs up to the old lock cylinder. This gives the vats system the required resistance to start. I wish I could tell you an easier way to eliminate this system, but there is none. I have done this before and it does work, but its just easier to repair it with the vats key and cylinder, but its expensive. Let me know if you have any questions I can further help you with!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: I tried the dealer and they said have it towed there, won't do it just asking them over the phone. I had this problem on a car a couple of years ago and replaced the ignition switch then also. Seems to me that I bought the VATS ignition switch then just had to go thru a sequence of key on and walk away from the car for the module to "relearn " the new resistace for the NEW chip. I cannot find the module or I would just put a small resistor in it.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
There is no relearn on a vats system its either right or it doesn't work. You don't need to access the module. Just the wiring that runs up the column. The vats control module needs. Your right the dealer can not do it over the phone. You have to prove you own the car BEFORE they access the gm database for a key code. Its a gm policy that all dealers have to follow. The best place to splice the resistor in is at the old wiring off of the ignition cylinder. You just need to tie it into the two wires encased in the orange conduit.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does the starter go thru the chip too? Won't crank over wth the key.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the starter is controlled through the vats system. There is no other way around it. I am sorry I wish I could tell you different, but its just not possible toeliminate it due to the way that gm has designed it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: What does it(the vats module) shut down the power to ? I have spark and fuel pump jumping the starter it starts but dies.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

If you have a properly operating system your vats system will:

• Enables the theft deterrent relay, which enables the starter circuit.
  • Sends a password XXXXX the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) through the fuel enable signal circuit, which enables fuel delivery to the engine.
  • You may have fuel initially but it will go away as soon as the pcm finds there is not a correct key.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    I have fuel pressure 44 lbs. and the pump is still running when the engine dies
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Here is what gm states the system will do. This is their words, not mine.

Ignition Key With Wrong Resistor Pellet Code is Used To Start Engine

The theft deterrent module performs one of the two following actions when you attempt to start the vehicle with a wrong ignition key:

There are 15 PASS-Key® II resistance ranges. The PASS-Key® II resistance may be one of the 14 valid but incorrect PASS-Key® II resistance ranges. The theft deterrent module will perform the following actions when you attempt to start the vehicle (if the condition is present during an engine start attempt or for 1 second any time after the engine has started):
    -
    - Sends a password XXXXX the PCM through the fuel enable signal circuit The password XXXXX fuel delivery to the engine.
    - Disables the theft deterrent relay, which disables the starter circuit
    - Disables sampling of the PASS-Key® II resistance for 3 minutes The 3 minute time period is called the shut-down period. Disconnecting the battery will not clear the timer sequence. The timer sequence will resume when battery power is restored. Inserting the proper key during the vehicle shut-down period will not start the engine. The engine will not start until the shut-down period has elapsed. After the shut-down period, the engine will start if the correct ignition key resistor pellet is used.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Is there a list of the 15 different resistance values???
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
    Yes there is. Each resistance value is one different key in itself. You must have the proper resistance to be certain which key you need and vice versus.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: I get that . Is there a list of these different values , so I can hit Radio shack for a handfull of resistors. Install the resistor try it and if it does not work change it until I get the right one.
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Thanks to another expert who found me this! This will help you with your problem. Here is the link!

http://www.wiringinstructions.com/237.htm

Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
    Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION