MechanicMan
MechanicMan, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master Auto Technician 28yrs Electrical and Mechanical experience
1698514

2000 Dodge Intrepid: The car keeps stalling..restart..warming..awhile

2000 Dodge Intrepid 2.7L. The car keeps stalling and will not restart after warming up and driving for awhile. I put a new fuel pump, ignition coils, and cleaned the PVC. The car starts fine when cold and I don't see any vacuum leaks. I am at my whit's end.
Category: Car
Expert:  MechanicMan replied 7 years ago.

Hello

Need to check for fuel and spark when problem occurs. Can you do this???

Also have you had computer scanned for codes???

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I had the computer scanned and it always comes back as coils. The coils have all been replaced with new ones.

A few times I have used starting fluid to start the engine, however I have not checked for spark when this occurred yet.

What were the coides for the coils??? Have codes returned?? new codes?? All clear??

Also you will need to check fuel pressure and fuel injector operation. You will need a fuel pressure gage and a fuel injector noid light tester, these tools are available at most auto part stores. Some stores offer rental programs and some offer tool loaner program (i.e. Autozone)

Check for spark but you said it started with starter fluid pointing more towards fuel system rather than ignition system, but test any way

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it this weekend and get back to you.
ok looking forward to hearing from you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to MechanicMan's Post: I tried to do the noid test while the car was acting up but by the air intake needed removal to get access to the fuel injectors, by that time I'm not sure if the car had coold off enough but the fuel injector harnesses all checked good.

I also replaced the air flow temp sensor whiole at it, no help.

Again, the car runs fine when cool??

Hello

Were you able to check spark and f/p during no start???

You never told me codes???

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to MechanicMan's Post: The codes always come up with coils, however, I replaced all of the coils with new ones.

I'll check for spark & fuel next time.
I need numbers so I can look up diagnostics to help solve problem. It could be a wiring problem to one of those new coils. The code for a coil does not mean to replace it. It means to test the circuit and then determine if it is bad. That is where people spend money unnecessarily. Could be just a bad connection........cost none just a little time
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I checked for spark, NO spark from coil... could it be the PCM?

Need to check ASD relay this feeds inj and coil on DG/OR wire .Is there power at coil....must be check within 10 secs after key turned on

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to MechanicMan's Post: I went ahead and just replaced the ASD, helped a little but the car still stalls when hot but now at least starts after a stall.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

To answer an earilre question, I do not have the codes but it indicated coil number 6.

Ok now I would re-check codes then erase and re-check codes after 50-100 miles or if it stalls again Let me know

You obviously have a heat-sensatized component that will not be diagnosed until it occurs

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to MechanicMan's Post: Could it be the cam shaft position sensor?
Normally it will set a code but yes it could, also crank sensor exhibit same symptoms
MechanicMan, Master Auto Tech
Experience: Master Auto Technician 28yrs Electrical and Mechanical experience