vipertech763
vipertech763, auto technician
Experience:  ase certified technican. dodge, jeep and chyrsler gold certified. dodge viper certified
3256298

How to replace jeep cherokee headlight control switch? special tools?

how to replace jeep cherokee headlight control switch? special tools?
Category: Car
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 7 years ago.

Good evening, the headlamp switch is mounted on what jeep calls the out board switch pod. Here is the info to gain access to the switch.

OUTBOARD SWITCH POD

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, Refer to PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1. Both switch pod bezels are secured to the instrument panel with snap clip retainers and a light snap fit. Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, gently pry around the perimeter edges of the bezel to release the snap clip retainers.
  2. Remove the bezel from the instrument panel.
  3. To install the bezel, use one hand to hold it in position on the instrument panel, then use the other hand to push the bezel towards the instrument panel until each of the retainers snaps firmly into place.
  1. Remove the two screws that secure the outboard switch pod to the instrument panel.

1. Pull the outboard switch pod out from the instrument panel far enough to unplug the wire harness connectors.
  2. Remove the outboard switch pod from the instrument panel.
  3. Reverse the removal procedures to install. Tighten the mounting screws to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)

You will only need something flat to gently pry the trim bezels off and a phillips screwdriver to remove the headlamp switch. Let me know if you need more help or have more questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to vipertech763's Post: this is a jeep cheroke classic 98 4.0.   this headklight switch is located onth left of colum and you pull the knob to activate the parking then pull further to activat ethe headlights. You solution is not correct.
Soory, I gave you the info for a grand cherokee, I will reply with the correct info momentarily, sorry about the mix up.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
will wait

Here is the correct info:

HEADLAMP SWITCH

WARNING: IF THE HEADLAMP SWITCH WAS ON, WAIT FIVE MINUTES TO ALLOW THE CERAMIC DIMMER RESISTOR TO COOL. IF THE CERAMIC DIMMER RESISTOR IS NOT ALLOWED TO COOL, IT CAN BURN YOUR FINGERS.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

the vehicle is so equipped, move the tilt steering column to the fully raised position.

• Remove the three screws that secure the lower edge of the steering column opening cover to the lower instrument panel reinforcement.
  • Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, gently pry the upper edge of the steering column opening cover away from the instrument panel on each side of the steering column to release the two snap clip retainers that secure the cover to the instrument panel.
  • Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel.
  • Remove the two screws that secure the knee blocker to the instrument panel.
  • Pull the knee blocker away from the instrument panel far enough to disengage the two lower mounting tabs from the slots in the lower instrument panel reinforcement.
  • Remove the knee blocker from the instrument panel.
    1. Pull the headlamp switch control knob out to the On position stop.
    2. Reach up through the outboard side of the instrument panel steering column opening and depress the headlamp switch knob and shaft release button on the inboard side of the switch.
    3. While holding the release button depressed, pull the knob and shaft out of the headlamp switch.
    4. Remove the spanner nut that secures the headlamp switch to the instrument panel.

1. Pull the headlamp switch into the steering column opening area of the instrument panel far enough to access the wire harness connectors.
    2. Unplug the two wire harness connectors from the headlamp switch.
    3. Remove the headlamp switch from the instrument panel.
    4. Reverse the removal procedures to install. Tighten the spanner nut to 2.7 N·m (24 in. lbs.)

Once again, sorry about the mix up.

vipertech763, auto technician
    Experience: ase certified technican. dodge, jeep and chyrsler gold certified. dodge viper certified