Paul
Paul, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  30 years Master Technician, Instructor,Shop Owner,Expert Advisor,Fleet Supervisor,Reserch
5048927

I HAVE A 1991 BMW 525I I TOOK THE FACTORY STEREO OUT AND ...

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1991 BMW 525I I TOOK THE FACTORY STEREO OUT AND BOUGHT A ADAPTER KIT FOR THE HARNESS,IT WORKS BUT NO SOUND FROM MY SPEAKERS,CHECKED ALL FUSES NONE BLOWN HELP!!ALSO NO DASH LIGHTS AT NIGHT
Category: Car
Expert:  Paul replied 9 years ago.
Do you have the radio with the CD + HIFI ten speakers,or radio only.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Paul's Post: only the tape deck with cd controller no cd changer though it does have the wb on it
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
should the dash lights not work if you take the radio out?
Expert:  Paul replied 9 years ago.
The radio has a security system, when the system detects a low voltage,or no voltage. Did you purchase the connector adapter from the radio shop?The best way to check the system is to plug the old radio in ,the codes should be with the owners manual.This will let you know if no speakers is a security problem.The wiring diagram I have,I will send you, I am not in a position to send it now,but as soon as I get back to my office,and a scanner,I will send it out.Also the amplifier should be to the left of the steering column,it may have a separate fuse.The diagram shows a 10 amp fuse in the amplifier.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ok took dash cover off no amp,if i plug factory radio back up nothing comes up no prompt for code.it worked fine till i disconnected it.and yes i bought adapter from radio shop and antena plug adapter
Expert:  Paul replied 9 years ago.

I forgot in 91 they put the amp in the trunk,sorry. This is the HiFi amp left hand side of trunk

Expert:  Paul replied 9 years ago.

Hi desiree, How you doing with the radio?If you need any info let me know.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Paul's Post: Still doing the same thing. I check the amp fuse is not blown.
Expert:  Paul replied 9 years ago.

Hi desiree, here is some info download, and see if it helps.You need to get the old radio working , and I can give you some idea how to check the speakers.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
how do i do that?when i plug it up i see lights but it doesnt do anything when i turn it off and on,only lights up with parking lights
or did till dash lights went out
Expert:  Paul replied 9 years ago.
I am checking the wiring diagrams,the radio should display code,with the ignition on.I will get back to you.If you look at the diagram you will see the radio has an internal fuse,if you follow front power distribution the dashed line you will see the fuse,check it.This radio has more fuses than my house.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ok i got the radio working the fuse was missing,it works fine.speakers and all but the speakers still dont work with aftermarket plug
Expert:  Paul replied 9 years ago.
OK, now we can start again,you need to test the new radio, can you take it to a radio shop and have them bench test it.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Paul's Post: I tested myself the radio works just fine. Its like the amps not being powered when i hook up the aftermarket wiring harness.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i figured it out! it was amp remote wire! which port is high side for charging ac on this model ?they are side by side
Expert:  Paul replied 9 years ago.
Good to hear,BMW radios can be a pain.Can you still get R12,or has it been changed over to 134? The changeover kit has two fittings that can't be mixed,Download this info,the low side is the fitting you put the freon in.Low side hose is fatter than high side.