DoctorD
DoctorD, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master, AAA State 1st place, Rotary Club, 20 years Exp.
5480360

1996 Cadillac Deville: It runs fine without a miss..slow..egr valve

My 1996 Cadillac Deville keeps stalling when I come to a stop. It runs fine without a miss while driving but when I slow to stop or make a turn, it stalls out. I just replaced the EGR valve without any luck. No codes showed when checked. Can you help?
You have an Idle circuit problem. The first repair I need you to do is to clean the throttle body blade very well. Remove all the carbon, and make it clean as a whisle. You can use a good carb cleaner spray that you can buy at any parts store. You will need to remove the mass airflow sensor to get to the throttle blade. I attached some illustrations below for you. After this repair, disconnect battery for 60 sec and reconnect and start up(may start hard with all the cleaner in it) rev up to clear cleaner and let idle for 5 minute with a/c off. Give this a try and relist question if you need more help.
graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I tried cleaning the throttle body without any success. Everything was going good until it seems the car warms up and then it stalls.
Hi again,
Well I was hoping the TBI clean would do it. With everything you have done, I am going to recommend you replace the Crank shaft sensors. I have seen many,many,many cause stall problems. they have updated the sensors. Rarely I have seen old spark plug wires cause interfence which would corupt the crank sensor signal, But if your wires are ok(not original) then I would do the Crank sensors, You have an "A" and a "B" sensor. Do them both. They are about $50 a piece OE.

graphic
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks Doctor D, I will try replacing them. What is you opinion that it could be the IAC?
I just don't think so, If she's idling high cold..that means that your iac is functioning properly. Its possible, I don't see alot of trouble with them...I'm just not feeling it here.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Ok, I'll take your word on that. Do I access the crank shaft sensors from under the engine? Would that be the easiest way to get at them?
Yes, From the bottom is the only way. One 10mm bolt holding each. Grease new o-rings to aid in installing the new ones.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to DoctorD's Post: Thank you very much Doctor D. I appreciate all the help you gave me.
Yes Sir/Mam, My pleasure. Good luck with your repair!