32dmadden, Auto Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified Master Technician, L-1 37 yrs. Auto Repair Experience

Oil leaking..the smoke was comming from it..rattling noise

There's oil leaking from under my car and my engine was smoking but I couldn't tell where the smoke was comming from it almost looked like it was comming up from under the engine. Also there's a new rattling noise from the side that the engine was smoking. Do
you know what could be the cause?
The engine light hasen't come on and the car seems to drive the same.
The check engine light is controled by the computer. The only oil sensor it has is a temperature sensor. So it's posible that the check engine light will not come on. The oil pressure warning light is the one that will tell if the oil is dry. But by the time it comes on damage is already occuring. Keep a good watch on the oil level. Check it with the dip stick. If the oil is leaking enough to leave a smoke trail it needs to be fixed now. Oil can ignite and a fire result. It sounds like it is already leaking onto the exhaust. The first things to check is the oil filter seal, the oil cooler lines and connections. Also look at the pan gasket and the valve cover gaskets. The noise you hear can be from several things. Without hearing it I can't tell what it is. I suggest you take it to a shop that you trust and have them find the oil leak and see if they can tell what is making the noise. Let me know if you need more help.