DoctorD
DoctorD, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master, AAA State 1st place, Rotary Club, 20 years Exp.
5480360

1999 Acura: replace the alternator..bolts and wire..tensioner..tool

I need to replace the alternator on a 1999 Acura 3.0 CL......access to the bolts and wire is OK, but how is the serpentine belt removed and replaced......looks like a tensioner that swings on a loaded spring? Do you just pry it up out of the way and slide the belt? What to use for the pry tool? Does anything else need to be removed to get the alternator out.....looks easy, but I don't need any surprises...thanks

Rich
Category: Car
Expert:  DoctorD replied 7 years ago.
Here is the complete instructions just in case you get stumped on the way. Yeah the belt tensioner is just spring loaded and moves up with a wrench.

1. Make sure you have the anti-theft code for the radio, then write down the frequencies for the radio's preset buttons.
  2. Remove the battery cover.
  3. Disconnect the battery negative cable. then disconnect the positive cable
  4. graphic
  5. Remove the front engine compartment cover.
  6. graphic
  7. Move the auto-tensioner to relieve tension from the alternator belt, and remove the alternator belt.
  8. Disconnect the condenser fan motor connector, and remove the air conditioning (A/C) compressor clutch Connector from the condenser fan shroud.
  9. graphic
  10. Remove the condenser fan/shroud assembly.
  11. graphic
  12. emove the ground cable. and disconnect the 4P connector and BLK wire from the alternator.
  13. graphic
  14. Remove the alternator and bracket.
  15. Install in the reverse order of removal.
  16. Enter the anti-theft code for the radio. then enter the customer's radio station presets.
DoctorD, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE Master, AAA State 1st place, Rotary Club, 20 years Exp.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Doctor D.....the 64K dollar question is how to move the spring loaded tensioner without damaging the unit or the belt....you mention the tensioner moves up with a wrench......do you mean a special tool, or just pry up the unit against the alternator face.....based on the small access area, I don't think I can get a toll on the tensioner nut very easily.....there would be a lot of swearing to try this if you know what I mean.......the alternator part looks fairly easy.....the belt tension could be a B....h!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
see secondary question regarding belt tensioner
Expert:  DoctorD replied 7 years ago.
Hey Sailfish,
If room is tight you may want to go to autozone or such and get a tensioner tool that will work in your situation. If it too tough to use just a normal stright wrench the the tool is needed to prevent damage to yourself(hands). I would not pry, like you commented about, That can be dangerous.
DoctorD, Auto Service Technician