ttiger79
ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Certified advanced level engine performance
2207141

fuel pump relay fuse located on a 1998 mitsubishi galant?

Customer Question

where is the fuel pump relay fuse located on a 1998 mitsubishi galante?
Category: Car
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
Hi!
The fuel pump fuse and relay are two different things. Did you need to know where they both are lcoated?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
yes
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes I would like to know where both the relay & fuel pump fuse for 1998 mitsubishi galante is located?
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
Sure!
The fuel pump relay is located inside the driver's side of the dash. Here's a couple diagrams for you (it's letter G in the diagrams.):

graphic

graphic

The fuse is located in the fuse block under the hood. It is the 20amp MFI fuse in the number 5 location in this fuse block. Here's a diagram:
graphic

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Is there another name for the fuel pump fuse because the diagram you sent me is different from my car.On my car my fuse box doesn't say fuel pump fuse. I dont see anything that says fuel pump fuse.
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
Yeah. Its listed as the MFI fuse. It's the 20amp fuse in location number 5 under the hood. It doesn't say fuel pump fuse.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Theres no MFI label on my car that why I ask if there was another name. I just install a fuel pump & fuel filter car still not turning over. I'm thinking maybe its the fuel injectors. Do you have any ideas on what steps I should next?
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
Sure!
Do you have fuel getting to the rail? You can try to remove the fuel line to the rail and cycle the key quickly to see if you are getting fuel. The injectors would be on a seperate circuit than the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
whats a rail and where is it located?
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
Sorry!
Its the part on the motor that the fuel injectors are connected to. Its on the top rear of the motor- attached to the intake manifold.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I removed the fuel line from the rail & I am getting fuel but it still want start.What else can I do?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Do you have any suggestions on what I should do??
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
Next, you need to see if you are getting spark from the distributor. Just pull a spark plug and reconnect the wire. Ground the spark plug on the block, and have someone turn the motor over (make sure you don't have gas left under the hood when you do this!) Or else, get a spark tester from the parts store, and see if you have spark.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
can you tell me where the crank sensor is located on a 1998 mitsubishi galante?
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
The crankshaft position sensor is on the left side of the motor. Here's a couple diagrams:

graphic

graphic

It's letter E in the diagrams.

I would recommend checking for spark, first though. If you have spark, your crank sensor is working. Let me know what you find!