Matt Kesler
Matt Kesler, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified - 20+ Years Experience
707400

1997 Isuzu Rodeo: Cylinder..2wd..drained..transmission fluid

I have a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo 6 Cylinder 2wd, I drained the transmission fluid and need to know how and where to put transmission fluid back in and what type I need to buy to put in.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt Kesler replied 7 years ago.
When adding fluid or refilling the transmission on this model/year/engine Isuzu vehicle, always use Dexron® III automatic transmission fluid.

The fluid will be added directly through the transmission level dipstick tube. Just remove the dipstick, place a funnel in the tube to prevent spillage, and fill to the proper level.

Be sure not to overfill! But use any Dexron III type Transmission Fluid and fill directly down the dipstick tube.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
But where is the Transmission Fluid Dipstick? All I can find is the Engine Oil Dipstick.
Here is an image from a similar Isuzu Rodeo with the V6 showing the transmission dipstick.

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/medium/0900823d8018adb5.gif

Yours may look ever so slightly different but it should be in the same spot.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have looked all over this thing and can't find that dipstick. The only dipstick is for the Engine oil. My Engine doesn't look anything like that one in the picture either.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Question: 1997 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L V6 mileage: 50000. I would like to change the automatic transmission fluid in my vehicle (I am familiar with the procedure on older vehicles) but on my Isuzu the transmission is a sealed unit. It has an overfill and drain plug. I drained approximately 3 quarts and filled it with about the same amount through the overfill hole so the best I was able to do was a partial change (total capacity = 9.1qts). I have searched everywhere for information on how to service this type of transmission (4L30-E) to no avail. Regardless of whether or not it is supposed to be serviced at 100,000+ miles I would rather change oil than change a transmission. How do you change the oil on this type of transmission? The service manual I have gives no specifics.

Answer: This type of transmission does not require service. The manufacturers have used a type of transmission oil that does not break down and consequently does not require changing.

I found this information on another website where someone had asked the same question...
That image should've been of an Isuzu 3.2L V6 but I guess it is wrong. If you have your manual it should show an engine diagram with location of the transmission dipstick but I will Opt-Out which will open this question up to other experts, one of whom will hopefully have a better diagram or photo for you.

I was under the impression that Isuzu didn't go to a sealed unit until 2000. If it is a sealed transmission then you'd want to have a repair shop fill the fluid as it'll have to be done on the transmission unit itself via the plug for the fluid level check. It is a very hot and messy procedure with a high likelihood of burns if you haven't done it before.

I'll still opt out maybe another expert can verify that post you found.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I drained about 3 Quarts of Fluid out would it be okay to drive it to the shop about 15 miles down the road?
I believe, according to a service manual on fluid capacities I have here, that your transmission should have a 9.1 quart capacity.

Therefore, you should be fine for 15 miles since you still have 2/3 of your transmission fluid.

However, I definitely can't guarantee that this won't cause problems. The transmission is a very delicate component and even 15-20 minutes of driving low on fluid could potentially cause internal damage.

Let me put it this way, if it was my truck I would spend the $40 for a tow just to be on the safe side. The last thing you want is to cause an internal problem with the transmission so any risk of causing such a problem should be avoided if at all possible.
Matt Kesler, Auto Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified - 20+ Years Experience