ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience on imports and domestics. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

replacing a water pump on a 1998 buick century

Customer Question

How to replace a water pump on a 1998 buick century.
Category: Car
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 7 years ago.

Depends on which engine is in it....Here are instructions for all of them to speed things up.

VIN identification is the 8th digit. If you still need help, just reply.

If this helps, click Accept.

1. Partially drain the engine coolant from the vehicle.

2. Remove the serpentine drive belt from the vehicle.

3. Loosen and position the alternator to one side.

4. Unbolt the water pump pulley, then remove the pulley.

5. Unbolt the water pump, then remove the pump and gasket.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Water pump used on 2.2L engines

1. Clean the gasket areas thoroughly.

To install:

1. Install a new gasket to the water pump mating surface.

2. Attach the water pump to the engine with the retaining bolts, tighten them to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).

3. Attach the water pump pulley, then tighten the bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).

4. Properly position the alternator.

5. Install the serpentine drive belt.

6. Fill the coolant system, start the engine, then top off the fluid.

2.5L Engine

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Drain the cooling system.

3. Remove the serpentine belt. Removal of the alternator and/or bracket may help give more room for easier access.

4. Remove water pump attaching bolts and nut, then remove pump.

To install:

1. Clean the sealing surfaces, then place a 3/32 in. (2mm) bead of RTV sealant or equivalent on the water pump sealing surface.

2. Coat the bolt threads with a pipe sealant GM part no.(NNN) NNN-NNNNor equivalent.

3. Install the water pump, then tighten the bolts to 10-24 ft. lbs. (14-33 Nm).

4. Connect the negative battery cable.

5. Fill the cooling system, then check for leaks. Start the engine and allow to come to normal operating temperature. Recheck for leaks, then top off the coolant.

2.8L Engine

See Figure 2

1. Disconnect battery negative cable.

2. Drain cooling system and remove heater hose.

3. Remove the pump pulley.

4. When replacing the water pump, the timing cover must be clamped to the cylinder block prior to removing the water pump bolts. Use special tool J29176 or its equivalent.

5. Remove water pump attaching bolts and nut and remove pump.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: After the water pump attaching bolts are removed, the pump can be pulled from its housing

To install:

1. With the sealant surfaces cleaned, place a 3/32 in. (2mm) bead of sealant GM part no.(NNN) NNN-NNNNor equivalent on the water pump sealing surface.

2. Coat bolt threads with pipe sealant GM part no.(NNN) NNN-NNNNor equivalent.

3. Install the new water pump, then tighten the bolts to 10-18 ft. lbs. (14-24 Nm).

4. Attach the pulley to the water pump, tighten the bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (21 Nm).

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

3.0L Engine

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable, then drain the coolant.

2. Remove accessory drive belts. Remove the radiator and heater hoses from the water pump.

3. Remove the water pump attaching bolts.

4. Remove the engine support strut.

5. Place a floor jack under the front crossmember of the cradle and raise the jack until the jack just starts to raise the car.

6. Disconnect the front two body mount bolts with the lower cushions and retainers.

7. Remove the cushions from the bolts.

8. Thread the body mount bolts with retainers a minimum of three (3) turns into the cage nuts so that the bolts restrain cradle movement.

9. Release the floor jack slowly until the crossmember contacts the body mount bolts retainers. As the jack is being lowered watch and correct any interference with hoses, lines, pipes and cables.

Do not lower the cradle without its being restrained as possible damage can occur to the body and underhood items.

1. Remove water pump from engine.

To install:

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure. Tighten the water pump bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).

2. Connect negative battery cable.

3. Fill with coolant, start the engine. Top off the coolant system and check for leaks.

3.1L Engine (VIN T)

2. Drain cooling system in to a drain pan.

3. Remove the serpentine belt.

4. Remove the heater hose and radiator hose.

5. Remove the water pump cover attaching bolts and remove the cover.

6. Remove the water pump attaching bolts and remove the water pump.

To install:

1. Position the water pump on the engine and install the attaching bolts. Tighten bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).

2. Install the water pump cover and attaching bolts.

3. Install the heater hose and radiator hose.

4. Install the serpentine belt.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

6. Fill cooling system and check for leaks. Start the engine and allow to come to normal operating temperature. Recheck for leaks.

3.1L Engine (VIN M)

1. Partially drain the coolant from the vehicle.

3. Unbolt the pulley from the pump.

4. Remove the water pump mounting bolts.

5. Remove the pump from the engine, then clean the gasket area.

To install:

1. Attach the water pump with gasket to the engine with the mounting bolts.

2. Tighten the mounting bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).

3. Attach the pulley with it's mounting bolts. Tighten them to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).

4. Install the serpentine drive belt.

5. Fill the coolant system, start the engine and top off the fluid. Check for leaks.

3.3L Engine

2. Drain the cooling system.

3. Remove the serpentine drive belt.

4. Disconnect the coolant hose at the water pump.

5. Unsecure the water pump pulley bolts. The long bolt should be removed through the access hole provided in the body side rail. Remove the pulley.

6. Remove the water pump attaching bolts, then remove the water pump.

To install:

1. Install the water pump with the attaching bolts. Tighten the bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).

2. Install the pulley. Install the water pump pulley bolts. The long bolt should be installed through the access hole provided in the body side rail.

3. Install the coolant hose at the water pump.

4. Install the serpentine drive belt.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

3.8L Engine

2. Drain the cooling system.

3. Remove the serpentine drive belt.

4. Disconnect the radiator and heater hoses at the water pump.

5. Remove the water pump pulley bolts, the long bolt is removed through the access hole provided in the body side rail. Remove the pulley.

To install:

1. Clean all gasket mating surfaces.

2. Using a new gasket, install the water pump to the engine.

3. Install the water pump pulley.

4. Connect the radiator and heater hoses to the water pump.

5. Install the serpentine drive belt.

6. Connect the negative battery cable.

7. Fill cooling system and check for leaks. Start the engine and allow to come to normal operating temperature. Check for leaks and top-off the coolant.

4.3L Diesel Engine

1. Drain radiator. Remove the negative battery cable.

2. Disconnect lower radiator hose at water pump.

3. Disconnect the heater return hose at the water pump. Remove the bolt retaining the heater water return pipe to the intake manifold and position the pipe out-of-the-way.

4. If equipped with A/C, remove the vacuum pump drive belt.

5. Remove the serpentine drive belt.

6. Remove the alternator, air conditioning compressor or vacuum pump brackets.

7. Remove the water pump attaching bolts and remove the water pump assembly.

8. Using tools J-29785 and J-29786, remove the water pump pulley.

To install:

1. Clean the gasket material from engine block.

2. Apply a thin coat of GM part. no.(NNN) NNN-NNNNsealer or equivalent to the water pump housing to retain the gasket.

3. Position a new gasket on the housing.

4. Position the new water pump, then apply sealer to the water pump mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts to 12-15 ft. lbs. (16-20 Nm).

5. Attach the alternator, air conditioning compressor or vacuum pump brackets.

6. Install the serpentine drive belt.

7. Attach the vacuum pump drive belt, if equipped with A/C.

8. Connect the heater return hose at the water pump, attach the bolt retaining the heater water return pipe to the intake manifold.