vipertech763
vipertech763, auto technician
Experience:  ase certified technican. dodge, jeep and chyrsler gold certified. dodge viper certified
3256298

98 jeep wrangler: r&r..exhaust manifold..diagrams, torque specs

You had the answer I was looking for when I first came on line and now I can't find it. Need to know how to r&r the exhaust manifold on a '98 jeep wrangler. Need everything, diagrams, torque specs.etc
Thanks, j
Category: Car
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 7 years ago.

Good evening, here is the info you requested:

INTAKE MANIFOLD - 4.0L ENGINE

The intake and engine exhaust manifolds on the 4.0L engine must be removed and installed together. The two manifolds use a common gasket at the cylinder head.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove air cleaner inlet hose from the throttle body and air cleaner assy.

1. Disconnect the accelerator cable, speed control cable (if equipped) and the transmission line pressure cable (if equipped) Remove these cables from the bracket.
  2. Disconnect the following electrical connectors:
    • Map Sensor
    • Idle Air Control Motor
    • Intake Manifold Air Temperature Sensor
    • Throttle Position Sensor
    • Oxygen Sensor Connector
    • Fuel Injector Connectors
  3. Secure the electrical harness out of the way.
  4. Disconnect the power brake booster vacuum supply hose from the intake manifold.
  5. Disconnect the CCV hose from the intake manifold.
  6. Disconnect the HVAC vacuum supply hose from the intake manifold.
  7. Disconnect canister purge vacuum supply form the intake manifold.
  8. Perform the fuel pressure release procedure.
  9. Disconnect fuel supply line from the fuel rail assembly.
  10. Loosen the accessory drive belt. Slip the belt off of the power steering pulley.
  11. Remove the power steering pump and bracket from the intake manifold and water pump and set aside.
  12. Raise vehicle on hoist.
  13. Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold. Discard the seal.
  14. Lower the vehicle.
  15. Remove the intake manifold and exhaust manifold.

INSTALLATION

1. Clean the mating surfaces of the cylinder head and the manifold(s) If the manifold is being replaced, ensure that all the fittings, etc. are transferred to the replacement manifold.
  2. Install a new exhaust/intake manifold gasket over the alignment dowels on the cylinder head.
  3. Position the engine exhaust manifold to the cylinder head. Install fastener No.3 and finger tighten at this time.
  4. Install intake manifold on the cylinder head dowels.
  5. Install washers and fasteners Nos. 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10 and 11.
  6. Install washers and fasteners Nos. 6 and 7 .
  7. Tighten the fasteners in sequence and to the specified torque.

Fasteners Nos. 1 through 5 - Tighten to 33 N·m (24 ft. lbs.) torque.

• Fasteners Nos. 6 and 7 - Tighten to 31 N·m (23 ft. lbs.) torque.
  • Fasteners Nos. 8 through 11 - Tighten to 33 N·m (24 ft. lbs.) torque.
  1. Install the power steering pump and bracket to the intake manifold and water pump. Torque the power steering pump/bracket to manifold bolts to 28 N·m (21 ft. lbs.) Torque the power steering pump bracket to water pump bolts to 47 N·m (35 ft. lbs.)
  2. Install accessory drive belt and tighten to specification.
  3. Before connecting the fuel line to the fuel rail, inspect the fuel line O-rings and replace them if necessary. Connect the fuel supply line to the fuel rail assembly.
  4. Connect all sensor electrical connections on the intake manifold.
    • Map Sensor
    • Idle Air Control Motor
    • Throttle Position Sensor
    • Oxygen Sensor Connector
    • Fuel Injector Connectors
  5. Connect the power brake booster and HVAC vacuum supply hoses.
  6. Connect the canister purge vacuum supply hose to the manifold.
  7. Install the throttle cable, cruise control cable (if equipped), and transmission line pressure (if equipped) cables into the bracket. Connect the cables to the throttle body.
  8. Connect air inlet hose to the throttle body and air cleaner housing.
  9. Raise vehicle on hoist.
  10. Using a new seal, connect the exhaust pipe to the engine exhaust manifold. Tighten the bolts to 31 N·m (23 ft. lbs.) torque.
  11. Lower the vehicle.
  12. Connect the battery negative cable.
  13. Start the engine and check for leaks.

Let me know if you need more help or have more questions.

vipertech763, auto technician
Experience: ase certified technican. dodge, jeep and chyrsler gold certified. dodge viper certified