DoctorD
DoctorD, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master, AAA State 1st place, Rotary Club, 20 years Exp.
5480360

1996 Honda Civic LX: vents..circuit diagram..the controls..switches

The vent buttons on my 1996 Honda Civic LX are all screwed up. They open the wrong vents. Can anyone supply a circuit diagram for the controls and explain how to remove the panel with the switches.
An explanation for why this has happened if it is common would help.
Category: Car
Expert:  DoctorD replied 7 years ago.
SmileHi,
The fix for this is to replace the mode control motor. The motor goes nuts and moves the air door to the wrong positions. It has been redesigned for this mess-up.
graphic
  1. Disconnect the 7P connector from the mode control motor.
  2. Remove the rod from the arm of the mode control motor.
  3. Remove the two self-tapping screws and the mode control motor.
  4. Install in the reverse order of removal. After installation, make sure the mode control motor runs smoothly.
DoctorD, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE Master, AAA State 1st place, Rotary Club, 20 years Exp.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is this control motor and how do I get at it. Is it under the dashboard and what do I have to remove to service it?
Expert:  DoctorD replied 7 years ago.

Its under the dash, Its attached to the a/c case. I should be on the drivers side under dash towards the center area. You will notice the electrical connector connected to it and there will be levers that affix to it as well that connect it to the a/c door inside the case. Removing the drivers under dash cover should reveil all these components, sometimes the pass side under dashcover will create easier access to.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Looking under the dash on the passenger side I could see a white plastic guide which I assume is part of the control. How do I remove the under dash covers?
Expert:  DoctorD replied 7 years ago.

The picture I provided is the only picture for the component that I have. I would recommend purchasing the new motor first before you disable the system. This way also you will have the new part in hand and know exactly what your looking for then. I myself never take parts off a car without first having the new one in my hand. If I could look under there with you I could guide you right to it, and I wish I had that power sometimes - It would help allot of peopleLaughing

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK, many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX question. The motor seems to act ok, it progresses clockwise as the button are pressed from the left to the right. However, the air never comes out of the defroster when the defroster button is pressed, but comes out of the central vents, as it does when the floor plus defroster button is pressed. When other buttons are pressed and the motor turns counter clockwise. moving the arm of the shaft in the air duct, very little air comes out anywhere else.
Is it possible that the vane in the air duct is not properly positioned on its shaft?
Expert:  DoctorD replied 7 years ago.
Yes, This is possible...Nothing surprises us in this field. Congrats on very good diagnosis! Maybe try disconnecting motor and moving air mode door manually and see if you can achieve your wanted airflow. If you cannot then internal damage is likely and would require the a/c box to be removed..(big job).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX been most helpful. Check is on its way.