AutoTechGuy
AutoTechGuy, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, ASE Advanced engine performance

2006 Mercedes Benz ML350: brake pads..Rear Brake..Rotor..special tools

Customer Question

I need to know the DIY for replacing brake pads for 2006 Mercedes Benz ML350 Front and rear include Front and Rear Brake Discs (Rotor?) too. Do I need any special tools for doing this?
Category: Car
Expert:  AutoTechGuy replied 7 years ago.

To replace the brakes on this vehicle you will not need any special tools other than allen wrenches and these are very common. You can purchase a pad spreader; this is not necessary but will make the job easier.

One thing you should know about Mercedes Benz brakes is that the rotors are made of a soft medal and so they wear as the brake pads wear. You will definitely need to replace the front rotors and may need to replace the back ones as well. You can take the rotors to your local parts house and have them measured with a micrometer to determine if hey are thick enough. If they are then have them machined to clean the surfaces and prepare them for the new pads. You do not need to machine the new rotors.

You will also need to replace the brake pad sensors.

To replace the parts:
Raise and support the vehicle on jack stands.
Remove the wheels.
Remove the two bolts that secure each caliper to the steering knuckle.
Remove the bolt that secures the rotor to the hub if present.

You will need to push the caliper pistons back into the calipers. To do this put a hose onto the caliper bleeder screw then put the other end in a container with a small amount of clean brake fluid. Open the bleeder screw and slowly push the pistons into the caliper. Close the bleeder and repeat for all wheels.

Install the new rotors, pads and calipers.

Fill the master cylinder up with DOT 4 brake fluid.

Pump the brake pedal slowly and lightly using only 1/2 the travel until the pedal becomes firm.

Bleed the brake system: Bleed each wheel one at a time. Have an assistant pump the brake pedal three times and hold it down. At each wheel place the hose over the bleeder and into the container of brake fluid. With the pad held down crack the bleeder screw open slightly and let some fluid escape. Repeat until no more air escapes. Repeat for each wheel. Check and add brake fluid after each wheel to ensure the level in the master cylinder does not get to low.

Install the wheel and test drive the vehicle.
CAUTION: The vehicle will stop very poorly at first but will quickly improve as the pads seat into the rotors. To seat in the pads properly, use slow gentle stops at first then increase to moderate to firm stops until the vehicle stops normally. Be sure to allow time in between stops to prevent the brakes from overheating.