ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience on imports and domestics. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.

87 volvo 240 dl, B230f engine, timing belt broke, can you ...

87 volvo 240 dl, B230f engine, timing belt broke, can you tell me which marks I need to line up. The book I have does not clearly show the marks for this engine. Also, what are the chances I bent valves? The motor did not lock up or make any wierd noises. It just stopped.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Eureka Ca
Category: Car
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 6 years ago.

Good news! Put the belt back on it, and crank it up. It should take less than an hour, too.

Here are the timing belt instructions:

Fig. 1: Align the crankshaft and camshaft marks prior to removing the timing belt-B230F engines

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: View of the timing belt prior to removal-B21FT engine

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: If you need the room, the fuel injector lines may be moved aside by unbolting their hold-down clamp

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Loosen the tensioner-you may hold the tensioner in place by inserting a 3/32 in. (3mm) dowel pin or drill bit in the pusher rod

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove the timing belt once tension is released

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: This belt is ready for the trash-replace the belt if damaged or if it is near the end of its recommended life

1. If the crankshaft, idler shaft, or camshaft were disturbed while the belt was off, align each shaft with its corresponding index mark (to assure proper valve timing and ignition timing) as follows:

1. Rotate the crankshaft so that the notch in the crankshaft gear belt guide aligns with the embossed mark on the front cover (12 o'clock position).

2. Rotate the idler shaft so that the dot on the idler shaft drive sprocket aligns with the notch on the timing belt rear cover (four o'clock position).

3. Rotate the camshaft so that the notch in the camshaft sprocket inner belt guide aligns with the notch in the forward edge of the valve cover (12 o'clock position).

2. Install the timing belt (don't use any sharp tools) over the sprockets, and then over the tensioner roller. Loosen the tensioner nut and let the spring tension automatically take up the slack. Tighten the tensioner nut to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).

3. Rotate the crankshaft one full revolution clockwise, and make sure the timing marks still align.

4. Reverse Steps 1-3 to install.

ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience: +15 years experience on imports and domestics. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I Do not see any notch in the forward edge of the valve cover. There is a dimple on the front of the cam sprocket, however the sprocket does not look like the one in fig. 1

HMMMM.......This might not be the B230F

Are there two belts on this engine for the timing, a big one and a smaller one?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to ase_master327's Post: no just one big one, the engine id tag on the fender well designates that the engine is B230f.

Do you have any close ups of the timing marks?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the cam sprocket looks like the one in the first drawing, if that helps
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
are you still with me?

Everytime I go to post my 'updated answer', you have already posted again....

Put the crankshaft mark on 0 degrees and then turn the camshaft until the distributor lines up, with it's mark in the first picture.

This is not an interference engine, and the cam will turn fairly easy, too...

If you feel binding in the valvetrain when you turn the cam, then this is not the designated engine.

Either way the Cam timing mark goes up..

Here is a bigger pic of the cam mark, that notch or a little hole has to be there, on the valve cover. Clean it off real good, and get a closer look.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there are two possible marks. first is a small hole that is in the back of the timing chain cover, that appears to be a hole for one of the bolts that holds the front of the cover on, and is at about 12:30 and, second is a notch located at about 11:30. Do you know which one it is?

Thank you for your patience and help.
It would be the notch.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You So Very Much

That's what we are here for...Be sure to come back if you have any other problems.

There are no bad experts here, either..We weed out the bad ones pretty quick.

It has been a pleasure helping you and,

Thank you for choosing Just Answer!

ase_master327, Shop Owner