Randall    (Cheeko)
Randall (Cheeko), Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mechanic
3075798

how do i replace the timing chain on a 2004 saturn ion

i really just need a picture or two and a little help on the marks

Hi, below are the marks, thanks

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
what i'm doing is taking the camshaft off of the 2.2 malibu engine that is bad(bottom end problem)and putting that camshaft into the 2.2 saturn engine that i'm replacing it with. only the power steering pump from the malibu won't attache to the saturn engine camshaft because the end of the saturn cam is different. i found out because the saturn soen't have a power steering pump so the end of the shaft is different and can't be used even though the rest of the engine is a perfect match.of course i only found this out after i put the saturn engine in the malibu so now i have to take it out switch cams and set the timing in the saturn engine.i guess i just wanted you to know what i was doing and why and thought you might have some other advise for me or confirm what i was doing as the only solution.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
can u supply me with an opinion on what i just told you?
Hi, I haven't tried or run into the issue you are having, just make sure any/ all the parts that you use look the same , compare them to each other, sorry that I can't help more, thanks
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Cheeko's Post: thanks cheeko i knew that was a tough one i never ran accross it either.the junkyard that sold me the engine didn't tell me it was a 2.2 out of a saturn and quite frankly i don't think he knew there was a problem like this either.i think it's just one of those things .so do you think you agree with me that switching the cams is the only real solution?
Hi, yes I do agree the cams are the way to go , sounds as if you already put in alot of time in so far, but you are to far to stop now, thanks
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks i agree with your agreement(lol)ill tell you how it worked out tomorrow............cory.

I wish you the best and don't forget to be safe, thanks and have a great night

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks cheeko you too buddy
No problem