Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

1998 CADILLAC: TIMING CHAIN..4.6 NORTHSTAR, 32

Customer Question

I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO INSTALL TIMING CHAIN AND TIME THE VEHICLE CORRECTLY. THE VEHICLE IS A 1998 CADILLAC D'VILLE, 4.6 NORTHSTAR, 32 VALVE.
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 7 years ago.

There are three chains. The first set you need to be concerned with is the secondary chains the operate the cams. Here is how to do them. This is how to do the items you are questioning, but if you need further help, let me know.

Secondary Camshaft Drive Chain Installation

1. Install all eight spark plugs.
  2. Lock the flywheel to prevent crankshaft rotation.
    Object Number: 207527  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the left timing chain tensioner shoe (1) and retaining bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the left timing chain tensioner shoe bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 207530  Size: SH

4. Install the left timing chain guide (1) and lower retaining bolt.
    Object Number: 212692  Size: SH

5. Install the left timing chain by feeding the chain down through the cylinder head and hanging the chain on the camshafts.
  6. Route the left timing chain over the inner row of the intermediate sprocket teeth.
  7. Install the left guide upper retaining bolt through the cylinder head access hole.

Tighten
    Tighten the left timing chain guide bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

8. Install the intake and exhaust camshaft sprockets into the chain and onto the camshafts so that the sprocket notch marked LI (left head intake) engages the intake cam drive pin and the sprocket notch marked LE (left head exhaust) engages the exhaust cam drive pin.
  9. Loosely install the intake and exhaust camshaft sprocket retaining bolts.
    Object Number: 73926  Size: SH

10. Check the sprocket drive pin, it must be perpendicular to the head face.
    Object Number: 53007  Size: SH

11. Use the hex cast into the camshafts in front of the first set of lobes to reposition the camshafts if necessary.
    Object Number: 210256  Size: SH

12. Install the right timing chain guide and lower retaining bolt.
    Object Number: 212691  Size: SH

13. Install the right timing chain by feeding the chain down through the cylinder head and hanging the chain on the camshafts.
  14. Route the right timing chain over the outer row of intermediate sprocket teeth.
  15. Install the right chain guide upper retaining bolt through the cylinder head access hole.

Tighten
    Tighten the right timing chain guide bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 210266  Size: SH

16. Install the intake and exhaust camshaft sprockets into the chain and onto the camshafts so that the sprocket notch marked RI (right head intake) engages the intake cam drive pin and the sprocket notch marked RE (right head exhaust) engages the exhaust cam drive pin. The cam drive pin must be perpendicular to the head face. A hex is cast into the camshafts in front of the lobes for cylinder 1 so that an open end wrench may be used in order to provide minor repositioning of the cams.
  17. Loosely install the intake and exhaust camshaft sprocket retaining bolts.
    Object Number: 53648  Size: SH

18. Install the timing chain guide access plugs (1) in the front of the cylinder heads.

Tighten
    Tighten the chain guide access plugs to 4.5 N·m (39 lb in).

Object Number: 53004  Size: SH

19. Collapse the secondary drive chain tensioners using the following procedure:
    1. Rotate the ratchet release lever counterclockwise and hold.
    2. Collapse the tensioner shoe and hold.
    3. Release the ratchet lever. Slowly release the pressure on the shoe.
  20. As the ratchet lever moves to its first click, hold the tensioner shoe inward and insert a pin through the hole in the release lever. The locked ratchet mechanism should hold the shoe in a collapsed position.
    Object Number: 212694  Size: SH

Important: Make sure the tensioner release lever faces toward you before tightening.

21. Install the left timing chain tensioner and retaining bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the secondary drive chain tensioner bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 212695  Size: SH

22. Install the right timing chain tensioner and retaining bolts.

Tighten

Object Number: 53007  Size: SH

23. Tighten the camshaft sprocket bolts. Use the hex cast into each camshaft to prevent engine rotation and provide leverage.

Tighten
    Tighten the camshaft sprocket bolts to 120 N·m (90 lb ft).

Object Number: 207517  Size: SH

24. Install the camshaft position sensor (1) and retaining bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the camshaft position sensor retaining bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object Number: 52099  Size: SH

25. Check all timing marks to make sure they are in proper position for base engine timing.
  26. When proper timing is assured, remove all pins from the timing chain tensioner release levers allowing the tensioner to expand and remove any slack in the timing chains.
  27. Check for proper base engine timing.

Here is how to do the main chain. Let me know if you have any problems or if you need any further help.

Primary Camshaft Drive Chain Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the engine assembly.
  2. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  3. Remove the accessory drive belt idler pulley.
  4. Remove the accessory drive belt tensioner.
  5. Remove the front cover.
  6. Remove the oil pump.
  7. Remove the left side cam cover.
  8. Remove the right side cam cover.
  9. Remove three timing chain tensioners.
  10. Remove the camshaft sprocket bolt from all four camshafts. Remove the sprockets.
  11. Remove the secondary drive chains from around the intermediate shaft sprocket.
  12. Remove the retaining bolt for the intermediate shaft sprocket.
    Object Number: 62341  Size: SH

13. Slide the gears and the primary drive chain off of the crankshaft and the intermediate shaft.
  14. The intermediate shaft should not be removed unless wear is evident.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 62341  Size: SH

1. Retime the camshafts. .
  2. Install the oil pump.
  3. Install the left side cam cover.
  4. Install the right side cam cover.
  5. Install the accessory drive belt idler pulley.
  6. Install the accessory drive belt tensioner.
  7. Install the accessory drive belt.
  8. Install the engine assembly.
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I NEED INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR THE TIMING CHAIN AND HOW TO TIME IT, FOR A 1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE. I DID NOT RECEIVE THE INSTALLATION PROCEDURE ON HOW TO RETIME IT.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I STILL NEED HELP. I NEED THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR THE TIMING CHAIN AND HOW TO TIME IT, FOR A 1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE. I DID NOT RECEIVE THE INSTALLATION PROCEDURE ON HOW TO RETIME IT.